However, I am known to say some random BS stuff just to see what kind of a reaction I can get out of my kids. Sometimes it works out humorously, other times...I don't get their goat and they totally roll their eyes and ignore my 'mom humor'.
Like, they don't get my movie jokes AT. ALL. Granted they are still only seven and five years old, sooo I cut them some slack on that one. Like the joke I made one day referencing the movie "Titanic" My daughter had thrown her sweet little arms around me and had loudly proclaimed "Mommy, I will NEVER let you go!" Of which I promptly said "Yeh, sure, that's what Rose said before she let Jack drown in the ocean when the ship sank 'I'll never let you go'" My daughter just looked at me like I was totally and COMPLETELY insane. Days later, she kept going on and on about telling her brothers "THE FIRST RULE IS" to which I finally replied "The first rule about fight club, is you don't talk about fight club!" Again, I was ignored and given the weirdest look EVER. Eh, I'll give them a few years, they don't know what those movies are yet, but they will, I will give them some time.
Anyway, this afternoon I was trying to get the kids amped up to help clean up the house, especially considering we've been sick for like two weeks now. Sooo as you can imagine the laundry is everywhere, dishes were piling up, the trash needed to go out, their were toys, blankets, books everywhere throughout the house. Total. Chaos.
So as they were playing "leap from the furniture pretending to be wild crazy monkey's" I said to them (after already trying to get their attention).
Me: "Hey you know Santa doesn't come to messy houses, he prefers CLEAN houses when he comes to deliver toys, because he doesn't want to trip over a toy and injure himself. I'd really hate to wake up on Christmas morning to stockings full of coal, and a law suite on my coffee table because Santa tripped over our messy living room and broke a leg, do we REALLY want to be the family that ruins Christmas because Santa broke a leg? I THINK NOT"
I paused for traumatic affect to see if the kids would be like "Oh yeh, mom is TOTALLY right let's not kill Santa and get this place cleaned up!"
No such luck.
*sigh* They just asked if they could have a banana because they were being monkey's at the zoo. FINE FINE FINE go ahead. Have your banana, Mommy shall do the hard work.
My kids have a very high functioning BS detector apparently.
To be fair though, they really did help clean up when it was time to get to it. They have sparkling clean bedrooms and they even made their beds, all I had to do was run the vacuum, which is something they usually do but I just did it to get it done quicker.
They gathered up their dirty laundry, put away their books, helped me move some furniture out of the living room so I could vacuum, and my daughter rolled up the rug so I could vacuum under it. So they did a very good share of house work today! Not bad for seven and five year olds. They even helped prepare supper (we had tacos). They were very busy little bee's.
Now I'm sitting here at ten O'clock at night listening to my drunk neighbor (well, I'm assuming he's drunk, because he usually is at this time, but hey he might not be drunk tonight). He is either drunk, or just redecorating his home at this time of night because he has been doing an awful lot of hammering and banging around over there, which stirs my dogs up and they bark like a pack of wild crazy dogs.
The kids have been asleep for two hours now, I've had two cups of hot cocoa, and am currently baking cookies and trying to find easy and quick recipes online to make, because I might possibly need like 14 dozen cookies by tomorrow night for our Church Christmas program. I don't procrastinate if that's what you are thinking. I've just been sick and not feeling like baking (or coughing all over everyone's cookies as I prepare them and I bet the people at the cookie share will appreciate that).
I've currently baked two and a half dozen cookies. Woo hoo! I'm on a roll. However, I took a short cut and found some frozen break and bake cookie dough in the freezer and I used that for those two and a half dozen cookies. I wish I had some cookie mix, but I have not bought any recently. Sooo the rest of the cookies will have to be the good ol' fashioned home made kind. Well minus the whoopee pies I plan on making, and they come from a box. Never made those before so we'll see how those turn out! The next time you see my hand hovering over ANY kind of sign up sheet (like the church cookie exchange sign up sheet) PLEASE smack my hand and tell me to BACK AWAY. To be fair, I did NOT know I was going to be sick this entire week. When I signed up I had EVERY intention of getting started on cookies RIGHT AWAY (I probably wouldn't have, and my only excuse THEN would have been straight out procrastination), but instead I was sick the ENTIRE week. Fun times.
I even need to make a couple dozen cookies to hand out to neighbors with their cards and Christmas ornaments (that I've yet to make yet, at least I have the cards done, ok?)
Tomorrow morning I have to miss Church because I will be photographing for the local dog rescue here in town, and I'm very pleased I can be there to do this for them. Later when I get home though, I will be a cookie baking FOOL!!
I have some kind of festive treat thing I was planning on making with pretzels, but not really sure how that's going to work out. Some thingish I saw on Pinterest, and I'm one of those people who eye balls a project once and then tries to recreate it...you know...without any instructions or anything. Usually do great with that when it comes to CRAFTING, but when it comes to cooking...well....they make recipes for a reason. I'm no Betty Crocker!
Well I'm just going to call it a night at two and a half dozen cookies. I'm tired. My sinuses are stopped up, and I have a long day tomorrow. Plus I had to take a break and figure out what our Elf on the Shelf, Toffee, was going to do tonight. He decided to go Snowman bowling (last night he was hanging from the chandelier). A few nights ago he stole a pirate ship and took it for a little joy ride. That same night, he also sat up a camera in the kids bedrooms to catch another elf popping to be silly. (Thank you Santa Spy Cam check them out on FB or search for their app on your smart phone or tablet. it's an app that is like the COOLEST app ever, totally check it out, my kids FLIPPED the next day when they saw the video of THEIR bedroom with a REAL elf peeking around their door frame to see if they were sleeping (and Toffee was sitting against the door frame that the other elf was peeking around). It was totally awesome, and super easy too! I'm not all that 'techie" and I figured it out.
Our Elf also spent a night non graciously tossed onto the entertainment stand because as I was going to move him, one of my sons nearly caught me so in a hurry I tossed him on the entertainment stand so as not to get caught, and well, he kind of spent the night/day there. Oops.



Mom Circus
