Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Eve Traditions

My kids are getting older, and are understanding Christmas more and more.  I have so many amazing memories from my Childhood that I love to share with my kids, well we've still yet to do the whole stomp through the Christmas tree field and cut down your own and bring it home, blah blah blah.  I'm not in to real trees like my Mother always insisted we had.  I'd say it's too much work, but putting up our 7.5 foot tall Christmas tree this year wasn't exactly a fun walk in the woods either!

Eventually the kids will get to experience a REAL tree...maybe.  If I ever get that brave...*shudder*  Pine needles. 

Anyway, this year I've managed to take the kids caroling, to see Santa, see the Christmas lights, we even made it through a Bethlehem set up which was awesome.  We've made holiday treats together, decorated the tree together, donated a toy to a charity, donated some canned goods, and my kids always dump whatever change they have in the cans at the store (we're hoping some year to sign up to be bell ringers but the list always gets filled up before we ever get a chance to get ON the bell ringing list! My husband has fond memories of doing that when he was young and he wants to share it with our kids and I KNOW they would love it). 

This afternoon we delivered the goodies we had made for our neighbors.  We had Christmas cards, cookies, fudge and Oreo balls, and Christmas ornaments made by hand.  The kids had so much fun taking turns knocking on each person's door and shouting "MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR" as the door started to open.
 


Cookies we made to pass out to the neighbors with ornaments, cards, and fudge!
Fudge or Oreo balls anyone?  I made the Oreo balls, but my neighbor made the fudge for me. 

It surprised our neighbors, and they were seemingly appreciative of the goodies we brought.  The kids enjoyed giving and seeing the looks on people's faces.  It made my kiddos happy to give to others. 

We baked cookies at home tonight for Santa, cute little cut out cookies that are absolutely DELICIOUS.  The kids did a great job helping in the kitchen. 


I love baking with my kids.  I promise my sons were in the kitchen too, but they weren't really in the picture taking mood, they are like that often and I don't push them to be in photos if they don't want to.




I don't really care for frosting or icing on cookies.  Growing up my mother was diabetic (she had been since she was 7 years old) so when we made cookies we tried to not add too much extra sugar so that usually meant no frosting, which is fine by me.  So the kids decorated the cookies using sprinkles and then we baked them.  I think they look adorable and aren't coated in a foot of frosting. 



We had the most lovely cookie recipe for these roll out sugar cookies! I found it over at allrecipes.com and WOW I love the recipe and plan on using it every year! They are just like the cookies I used to make with my Mother.  Light, and crisp, but still just the right amount of soft! LOVE THEM! Check the recipe out HERE.

The kids had lovely bubble baths after our apparent new tradition of ordering pizza every Christmas eve, ha! They put on their new comfy cozy PJ's!  Then we sat about opening a few presents that were under the tree.

I *finally* got to open the present that my husband snuck and bought me but refused to tell me what it was and he even had a friend of ours wrap it.  I loved it! Snow man coffee cups, with hot cocoa mix and a smores kit.  How fun is that?  However, it's a present that benefited the husband too! He got a coffee cup out of the ordeal, and smores and hot cocoa, ha!

We drank hot cocoa out of our new coffee cups, we had pop corn, and movies that my husband and I grew up watching during Christmas (the old Frosty, and Rudolph shows, I loooove those shows!!)  We red the Night Before Christmas, we watched Santa take off from the North Pole, and we tracked him on NORAD for awhile before the kiddos had to scoot off to bed.  The kids also sat our their Magical Reindeer oats for the Reindeer, and some carrots too.  Also sat out cookies and milk too, after the kids decorated a plate for Santa's cookies like they do every year.

CUUUUTE little Mr. and Mrs. Snow man cups my husband got me for Christmas!

Our family cups and popcorn

Decorating a plate for Santa's cookies.

a terrible photo of our reindeer chow.  Some people put glitter in it, but we just use sprinkles and oat meal because we don't want it to hurt birds if they happen to eat it, and I don't think glitter is good for birdies
We got things cleaned up and ready for tomorrow morning.  It's just going to be the husband and the kids and I for Christmas, which is nice.  We're planning on having biscuits and gravy, home made for breakfast.  (AFTER opening of presents, the husband tried to tell the kids they couldn't open presents until AFTER breakfast, you can imagine how well THAT went with the kids, ha!)

Even though the husband and I are having some issues with his mom, I still gave her a call today so the kids could wish her a Merry Christmas.  She appreciated that, and I'm glad she did.  She's currently up visiting her daughter in Iowa for Christmas (that's for the best, because at the moment, we don't really want her at our home for a holiday).  However, she is bringing my niece down for a few days when she comes home and she asked if it would be ok if she brings her over for a visit, which of course, I love to see my niece and would never tell my niece I didn't want to see her.  I do appreciate my mother in law asking though.


I guess I need to go play Santa.  Then get my butt to bed!

Everyone here at The Circus, wishes you and yours a MERRY CHRISTMAS, Happy Holidays and whatever else you celebrate :)  We just want you to have a joyous and wonderful time celebrating and spending time with family and friends!

Mom Circus