Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Christmas Craft -- Stocking Cap

I still needed ONE more ornament idea for my last kiddo after creating the Reindeer Ornament, the Candy Cane Ornament and the Snow Bowl game.  I was totally and completely stumped.  A friend showed me what she was making for her first grader to hand out to her friends.  Normally, I don't like using an idea someone else is doing, but in this situation...I decided it was the most cost affective way to go.  I already had all of the supplies needed, so I figured I'd go for it.  My child is in kindergarten that would be using them, so I thought it would work out fine.
 
These ornaments only use two supplies, and they are very easy to make, BUT they are highly time consuming.  I'm not even done yet, I need at least 10 more made myself, and I have until tomorrow to get them finished.  They are, however, super cute!
 
Supplies:
  1. Yarn of your choosing (I recommend using a heavier yarn!)
  2. Scissors
  3. Toilet paper tubes.
 Directions:
  1. You want to cut the yarn into about 3 or 4 inch pieces.
  2. You will also need to cut your toilet paper tubes, you will have to flatten it, and then cut the tube into "strips" these strips will then be the base of your hat. (you can see that in the pic above this step)
  3. Next you will loop the yarn around the thin toilet paper ring until you go all the way around it (That's the time consuming part!)         
  4. You will take a piece of yarn and gather the yarn up and tie it together to make a pom pom ontop of the hat, and that string that you used to tie it together will also become the hangar to put it on the tree.   
  5. You will want to use scissors to shape your pom on top of the hat.  (as seen above)
Though I still have several of these left to go, they are so cute and I can't wait to see all of the kids get their ornaments tomorrow!

Mom Circus