Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Gobblin' Goodies!

Tomorrow, as you all know is Halloween.  The preschool my children attend has very strict policy on what is and isn't allowed.  NO home made treats.  Kind of a bummer as making home made treats is one of my absolutely favorite things, but I can understand their reasoning as so many kids now days have so many different allergies.  Like peanut butter, nuts, eggs, dyes, gluten, etc etc.  My own children are supposed to be wary of wheat and dairy though thankfully they do not have to completely cut it out of their diet, just watch their consumption of it. 

So I swallow my Mommy pride at my need to bake the holiday goodies for taking to school, something I will never get to do.  I have very fond memories of my Mother baking things and making amazing creations for me to take to school for my birthday and other holidays.  LOVED IT.  She was the best "room mother" ever. 

So last year my daughter and I took oranges and drew pumpkin faces on them and she took them to school.  Those went over really well, so that was good!

This year...I had to think a bit bigger since all 3 of my kids are in preschool now.  There is nearly 36 to bring treats to, and I didn't think 36 oranges was a very good idea, so I opted for something a bit smaller and lighter, and cheaper. 

We went to the store and picked out a big box of fruit snacks.  Not the most healthy of snacks, but they'll work in a pinch.  Thankfully none of the kids this year have any dye allergies (just dairy and nut allergies this year).  So we counted out the amount of snacks that would be needed for each class room.

I set about cutting out paper (could have saved myself a TON of trouble by digging out my Cricut machine buuuuuuuut it's kind of buried in my closet....nicely done husband, nicely done).  So hand cutting it was!

For Marshall we chose to make little monsters, for Keegan we did little pumpkins, and we did little ghosts for my daughter. 


Stapled them to the fruit snacks, and then glued on eyes or pipe cleaners what ever was needed, and wrote Happy Halloween (From whichever child) and tada done treat. Didn't take too awfully long was a pretty nice little evening project to do with the kids while supper was cooking.

Tomorrow my Mother in law and sister in law are coming for Halloween.  They will be here in the afternoon shortly after the kids get home from school.  So I'm making "Ghoulish Goulash" for lunch.  And Anti Vampire bread sticks (garlic bread).  Then we are going to the Trick or Treat Trail down town and then to a few events around town and maybe hit up a few houses.

Though, note to self for next year, write on the cards BEFORE stapling them to the fruit snacks, makes the hand writing look a bit better!

Finished product


Kami's Ghosty


Keegan's Pumpkin

Marshall's Monster

Kams helping by sorting out eye balls for her ghosties!