Saturday, October 4, 2014

Go Fly A Kite

Today was a lovely day, I mean sure it was chilly (only got up into the 50's), but hey the sun was out at least!! It wasn't raining, and that made getting out and doing something with the family possible.  We started out just sitting at home.  COLD (as we refuse to turn the heat on just yet).  Ok so maybe I was the only cold person, as I'm always cold, and am currently bundled up in my favorite floppy house sweater and chugging hot apple cider faster  than what any normal person should be able to.  Hey, who needs taste buds right?  Just melt those things right off with some hot apple cider.

Any who.  I had finally had enough of my little three ring circus running rampant through the house.  I had scoured the local parks and rec page to see what they MIGHT have going on.  I saw something that caught my eye and decided, yep we're doing this.  SOOOO doing this, just to get out of the house.

We were going to go fly a kite. 

I haven't flown a kite since I was like 12. 

So I dug through a box of junk that's been hiding in my bathroom for like a year now, and lo and behold I found....a KITE! Yay! It was some kite my daughter had one at a Vacation Bible School one summer.  So I was all excited to take the kite out of the bag to find the stupid thing wasn't put together, I had to do that part myself.  Now I don't remember EVER having to actually build my own kite when I was a little kid! So I had no clue what I was doing and the instruction really weren't that helpful. 

Come to find out...the bag was missing a rather important piece anyway so it wasn't ever going to fly. 

Darn the luck.  However, the kite flying event being hosted by the local parks and rec, had some kite kits you could do.  I wasn't looking forward to building a kite, but thought hey, the kids will enjoy it and it gets us out of the house, so away we went!

It was a VERY windy day, perhaps a little TOO windy to be flying kites, but there were several people out there at the sports complex flying their kites (and irritating a local hawk who was getting a bit protective of his air space). 


We got three kite kits and to my dismay...they were the exact same type of kite my daughter had that I had attempted to put together at home.  Oh man.  I handed them to my husband and walked off. 

He did a decent job putting them together, better than I would have.  I would have just found a plastic grocery sack and tied string to it and said here kid here's your kite....


He actually put the kite kits together.  He has more patience than I do with stuff like that.  Instead I went and chased the kids around (irritating my incisions from surgery almost 3 weeks ago, Mmm fine times fun times, I am feeling the pain tonight!)

Anyway, by the time he got the third kite put together he knew more or less what he was doing, and THAT kite actually flew, rather than hovering and doing neat little spins over and over and over before nose diving like the other two kites did.
The final kite, the only one that really actually worked properly (or almost properly).  Son Circus #1 loved it and had a blast!
The fun wasn't lost on my kids, they enjoyed every second of flying their kites whether they worked correctly or not.  They did take turns flying the one kite that DID work correctly. 
Son Circus #2 trying to untangle his string. He had so much fun flying his kite even though it didn't fly so well, he still thought it was awesome.
Son circus #1 learning how to fly his kite with Daddy Circus.  My husband really enjoyed helping the kids with their kites.
How Son Circus #2 spent his time playing with his kite, making it chase him.
At this point...my daughters kite just kind of laid down and gave up.  She was a little irritated with her kite for not cooperating with her.  It just took far too many nose dives and couldn't keep up anymore.
I had fun attempting to teach my son how to fly the kite.  For the record...he is picking up some old ketchup and mustard packs he found laying on the parking lot.  Gross.  At least it was just condiment packs, and not something worse, like an actual condom. Thankfully he went threw the ketchup and mustard packs away in the trash where they belonged after we told him those were gross and he could not play with them.
This was their first time ever flying a kite, and they really enjoyed it.  So this spring we'll be picking up a few more kites (good ones that I don't have to assemble!)

After we were doing flying kites we decided to let the kids play on the jungle gym for a bit, unfortunately....Son Circus #2 my dare devil child...decided to do a fantastical fall from a really tall set of monkey bars.  He landed on his elbow.  It didn't sound good, or look good, and he sure CRIED enough to wake the dead. So we all jumped in the van and drove to the ER.

Turns out, nothing was broken, though how they determined that without an XRAY I will never know.  They just poked and prodded him, and the doctor goes "it's not broke here's some children's motrin, he'll be fine".  However, he's been complaining of a lot of pain since we got home.  You bump it and he cries, and he doesn't want to use his arm if he can possibly avoid it. It doesn't look swollen or bruised, but I'm keeping an eye on it and a call will be placed to his pediatrician on Monday to actually MAKE SURE it isn't broken if he's still complaining of pain and not wanting to use it much. Poor kid. 

Tomorrow if the kids are feeling up to it, and it isn't TOO cold out.  I think we're going to hit up a train robbery re-enactment out at the mini train at the park.  I think the kids will love it! I know I will, because I'm a nerd like that, and they are after all MY children. 

Two weekends from now there will be a Mother/Son rocket launch and the boys and I are SUPER excited about that one! I just hope the rockets shoot off better than the kites flew!

Earlier today while I was sitting in a bored stupor staring at Facebook and Pinterest, I decided I was going to try one of the little crafty Halloween projects I had seen floating around those two places.  I went with a ghost project as apparently ghosts and pumpkins are the "theme" of my house this year.  I found one from a blog called "
One Creative Mommy" Making these spinning hanging ghosts looked easy and cheap enough.  The instructions were simple, and it didn't take much time at all.

The difference in hers and mine, is the fact she used heavier poster board to create her spinning ghosts which makes them larger, and more sturdier. 

I had no poster board and was lazy and didn't feel like driving out to get some, so I just used regular typing paper.  Not as sturdy, and it doesn't make the ghosts as big, but it actually worked out perfectly for me. 

I did use her template she had on her page, just because I was too lazy/tired to figure it out myself, though it wasn't complex, I just didn't figure it out myself, because...well someone else already had and that just seemed easier.  So I just lightly traced her template over my monitor screen (don't tell my husband, I was on his computer and he might be a smidgen up sest I was using a pencil...and paper...on his monitor...). 

Any who...I cut out the first lil' fella.  My husband was on the couch the whole time, his nose buried in his tablet doing something with the kids.  Right as I finished cutting out the first ghost, and I held it up, of course the husband looks over at what I'm doing, and gives me the strangest look ever.  I was like..."what?"

He asks me "Honey...why did you make a giant sperm?" 


I gave him a blank look and impaled him with my scissors (ok so the scissors part I just did in my head...) but I did give him a blank look and said "It's.  A.  GHOST"

He was just like "What eeeever you say....Suuuure it is...." and he went back to doing whatever it was he was doing. 

So they became our ghostly sperms, or sperm ghosts, not sure which, but either way it's apparently hilaaarious to the husband. 

My ghosties are now cut out and hanging from the living room light fixture to help complete our Halloween décor.
Hey the kids love them, and at least they give the husband a good chuckle every time he walks into the living room.

Anyway, please check out this fun and easy craft over at "One Creative Mommy" who is far craftier and superior than I am when it comes to making swirly ghosts. Mine just look like mischievous sperms.  Fantastic. 

Also be sure to read her awesome instructions, because I really SUCK at reading the instructions.  Again, I just eye ball it, and maybe glance at a template and go from there.  She also gives you cool face templates to use, I just hand drew my own faces on....so yeh.  I also didn't use a hole punch, or use fishing line...I used tape, and white yarn....and I hung them up dead center in the middle of their heads, which apparently they hang better when NOT hung up in the very center of their bodies (and look less like psycho giant sperms that way). 
Some day I'll read through all of the instructions.  Some day.

lol and she even dusted and cleaned her house for taking photos of her ghosties.  Yeh, me?  Not so much. The same dust balls are stuck to my ceiling that were there when we moved in three years ago.  Never have gotten around to shop vacing the sucker off the ceiling....some day I will.  Some day.

Just, check it out, she's awesome and has a lot of cool crafts for Halloween. 

I am excited to do the rest of my crafty stuff throughout the month! I have several other fun projects planned.  I was going to work on a few of them tonight.  However, my daughter asked if I would help her paint her little tea set she got for her birthday.  It's one of those really tiny super neat ones that they can paint themselves.  So of course I sat down with her and we painted that cute little tea set.  We can't wait to play with it tomorrow when it is fully dry. 


For now though I think it is time for me to go nurse my surgery wounds and lay down in my comfy cozy warm bed and get some shut eye so I can hopefully feel back up and energized in the morning.  Seriously, I will be so glad when I'm back 100%, this surgery experience has been a total bummer. 

Mom Circus