Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Prayers For My Mother in Law

Our family is being hit hard with some stress right now and medical emergency.  My Mother in Law was taken by ambulance to another, bigger hospital.  They were going to life flight her but it was too foggy for the helicopter to safely fly so she was taken by ambulance.

A few weeks ago she was in the hospital for what she suspected were gal bladder issues.  Turns out she had a blood clot in her colon (cause unknown) and it had caused an infection in her colon that had back into her gal bladder.  They hit her hard with antibiotics at that time, and there were talks of surgery but they ended up not doing surgery on her. 

Apparently, she started bleeding on Friday and she thought she was just passing the blood clot in her colon.  I was not aware the bleeding had started on Friday I thought it had started on Sunday night, I had over heard my husband encouraging her to go to the hospital about it and I completely agreed with him as did his sister.

By about 2 or 2:30 this Tuesday morning she couldn't take anymore and it was getting worse, so she had her daughter take her to the local hospital where they then proceeded to have her sent to another better bigger hospital a couple hours away. 

Later this morning my sister in law made it to our home and picked up my husband and they went together to the hospital to see their mom.


They said she was in and out of it and was very weak and slept a lot and when she did talk it was "Mmmhmm", and "Yah..."  just enough to let them know she was sort of hearing them. 

She has a pic line or IV in her neck so they can draw blood easier and test it every few hours to see how she is doing.  (This greatly upset my husband and he hated seeing his mom like that and he had to exit the room for a little while). 

When they were there visiting they didn't really know a whole lot.  They hadn't been able to really do any tests or anything because she was in need of so much blood, and she kept losing blood.


Thankfully she hadn't lost any more blood since late this afternoon. 

She ended up getting 6 units of blood, and 2 units of plasma.  They were giving the last unit of blood at around 9 I think.  After that was given they were going to re-evaluate the situation and go from there.  Thid could mean anywhere from giving more blood/plasma to emergency surgery (IF needed). 

She has been atleast coherent enough to talk to the nurses, which is good.  But she is still really pale and weak and sleeping a lot.

The bleed is coming from the mid gut region in the transverse colon.  IF they do surgery (which they have no idea if it will be necessary or not) it will be to this area to repair some kind of possible hole.  But we aren't even too that point of knowing yet,  they can neither confirm or dismiss the posibility of surgery right now.  So that is kind of up in the air.

The nurses were being SWAMPED with phone calls by family members, and the nurses asked that only ONE person call and be the spokesperson.  Kenny said that as the oldest of the children that he would be the one to do it, but he wanted me to do it instead as he is awful with words and asking questins and relaying information back, and Ashley just seems very overwhelmed and emotional right now, and Lisa is still in Colorado at the moment trying to get here, we hope she can get here this week.  I have more than plenty of experience calling that hospital and getting updates and info :(  Watched my own Mother go through quadruple bypass surgery 4 years ago, scariest moment of my life was not knowing if my Mother was going to live or die! So I know what my husband and his sisters are feeling and it's a very scary feeling.  Unfortunately I was the one who had to do all of the calling and message relaying then.  I'm glad I can be of assistance to my husband and sister in laws right now.  They have enough on their plate right now worrying about their mom!

So praying that everything goes well for my Mother in Law, she is a good woman I've known her for many years, even before my husband and I started dating back in 2001.

Though my husband and his sisters went through a lot growing up, they are very close to their mom as adults which I am glad to see.  She is a wonderful grandmother who loves her 4 grand children very much. 


Kamilah is upset that Granma is in the hospital.  Everytime Granma is in the hospital she asks "is she sick?  Is she going to die?"  (I hate those kinds of questions!)   I answer with, yes she's sick, but she has very good doctor's taking care of her and we're pretty sure she's going to be ok, but we're going to pray for her extra hard just to help." 

Marshall and Keegan don't really seem to understand that Grandma is in the hospital, they know she is sick, and  that she isn't at our house with Aunt Ashley and cousin Faith like she usually is when they come to visit which did make them ask where Granma was.

Poor Faith, her and Ashley live with Granma Ann and Granma is a big part of her life and routine right now.  Granma puts her to bed at night and snuggles her and Faith is used to that so putting her to bed has been difficult tonight, and during the day she looks around the room like she is searching for Granma.  Faith will be 5 months on the 22nd, the boys are 3 and a half, and Kams is 5 so she has 4 young grand babies who are missing her wanting her home for Christmas! 

We're trying to stay calm, and be positive, but truth is?  This is serious stuff.  She's in the ICU.  Had she waited any longer to go to the hospital, she probably wouldn't be with us at all. 

The hospital is supposed to call us should her condition change at all or they decide to do the emergency surgery.  So we sit.  And we wait. Hoping they actually remember to call us if something happens. 

Ann has 2 sisters that live about 2-3 hours away that want to get down here as soon as they can should the need arise (we pray it doesn't arise, but you never know).  Plus ontop of it all up north where her sister live they are expecting a big ol' snow storm.  So I could have a VERY full house depending on how things work out.  (2 sister in laws, my mother in laws sisters, and a couple of my husband's cousins possibly)  PLUS ontop of all of  that?  My niece's father is supposed to come down and see his daughter during all of this.  Can we say BUSY around my home?  Which...may I add is a disastor zone! I wasn't expecting to have company at my home until Christmas Eve! And this past weekend I was kind of in a depressed state after the tragedy in Newtown CT. I had no motivation to get up and do the things I KNEW I needed to get done, so now I find myself scrambling EXTRA hard to get it done! (Atleast I didn't get behind on laundry! YAY ME!) 

I love having a full home full of family, but I just wish it were under happier circumstances and not because we were worried about the health of a family member. 

Last year my Mother in law was in the hospital on Christmas for I think her congestive heart failure or pneumonia, one or the other. 

I fear she will be in the hospital for yet another Christmas. 

So just keeping her in my prayers that everything will work out. She is a very loved woman by her family and everyone is praying she'll tough this out and be A OK! I've always felt blessed that I had a great Mother in law, we may have not always agreed and had a few rough spots, but nothing major, all in all?  I love my mother in law dearly and couldn't ask for a better one.  We've always  gotten along and had respect for one another.  I'm glad I know her :)

Mae


Kamilah proudly attends a tea party with her Granma and her Mommy I always do
my best to invite my mother in law to all of these fun little extra things I do with the kids
because I know she didn't get a chance to do them with her own kids.

Just this past April the kids got to go to Church with Grandma and had so much fun!

With her two grand daughters.

Spending time with the grandbabies just this Thanksgiving!

Kamilah's first Christmas, Ann's first Grand child

Kamilah's first family reunion, she loves hanging out with Granma

Me with my awesome Mother in law and Kams

She's always there at Relay for Life supporting Keegan in
his fight with Neuroblastoma

Keegan with Granma when the boys attended their first family reunion

Kams loves to sit on the porch swing with Granma

Granma always spends Halloween with all of her Grandkids!

I love this photo, you can see how much she loves
her  grandbabies and how much she loves being a grandma :)

She's not afraid to get in and play with her grand kids at the pool, or the lake.
They love playing with her.

She is very proud of her newborn baby niece Faith :) 
She felt honored to be in the OR when Ashley had
her C Section

Maternity photos with Ashley

A great Mother Daughter team!

Standing with all of her grand babies (even the unborn LOL)

Ann visiting her niece and nephew over the summer

Visiting with family over the summer :)

Getting ready to attend a tea part with her grand daughter Kams

Well.  I think you get the point.  My mother in law is well loved by her family :)  She's very much a big part of our family and we are all very worried about her and wish we could be right there with her the entire time she's in the hospital.  Unfortunately, we cannot.  So we pray for her and keep the phone near us at all times. 

We love you and we're praying for you!!!