One more Disney Channel star goes belly up and insane it might just break my 'achey breaky heart'. Remind me to NOT let my children pursue any dreams they may have of being a Disney Star. My goodness. It's a train wreck. I don't think exposing children to such stardom at such young ages is very good for them (obviously). Whatever happened to just letting kids be kids and being their innocent sweet selves? Just because they've made it to Hollywood doesn't mean they need to be exposed to all of the insanity that goes along with it.
Brittney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Bynes (not a Disney star but still a child star none the less), and Miley Cyrus. Just to name a few. You'd think one train wreck would learn from another, and I mean learn what NOT to do. Apparently they are learning from each other, how to OUT DO each other. It's all attention seeking, and at this point they don't really seem to care WHAT kind of attention they are getting, as long as they are getting the attention.
Personally, I think Miss Cyrus fears of ending up like a one hit wonder, washed up celebrity like her Daddy. Trust me. The world is NOT going to forget who Miley Cyrus is. We all know she ISN'T Hannah Montana.
I am not going to lie, as I was folding laundry earlier I came across one of my daughters Hannah Montana shirts, and I had to cringe. This morning I watched my daughter run through the house in her Hannah Montana house slippers, and yet again...cringed. Thankfully, my daughter is not even 6 yet and hasn't a clue who Hannah Montana is, or who Miley Cyrus is. She doesn't even know who Justin Beiber is (even though she has a shirt with his face on it, she just knows he sings and that's it).
Thankfully, her taste in music still lies in "Jim Cosgrove, Mr. Stinky Feet" (Don't know who he is, look him up! He has fun kids music that is silly and family friendly). Otherwise, my kid isn't a big music lover unless it's some old rock on roll. She does like the group FUN but I have to make sure it isn't the songs with the bad language, same with Maroon 5 who she also likes, I have to be careful which songs she listens to. She isn't a big Taylor Swift fan either, though her little brothers are. Should be interesting to see how my daughters taste in music develops as she gets older. When I was her age I was all about the Country music (and I still am to an extent).
I want my daughter to have roll models who are actually DOING something positive for the world. Not roll models who thing showing off their vagina to everyone is how you get popular. Sorry, that doesn't make you popular (or at least not a GOOD kind of popular).
I've read a few HILARIOUS blogs about Miley Cyrus's performance at the VMA's last night. I didn't get to watch the show last night, but thanks to the wonder that is You Tube I did catch the performance this afternoon after I dropped my sons off at preschool (no way was I watching that performance with them around after reading my Facebook news feed this morning)!
My husband and I stood in horrified silence as we watched the show.
SO many people are hailing Miley as a 'genius' and that's she's being "real" and being original. Phhhggfffftttt. No she's not.
She's no more real than Madonna was when she pulled stuff similar to this years ago! Miley is no more real than the crazy stuff Lady Gaga or Katy Perry does. Has anyone seen some of Pink's videos? Yeh. They are all pretty trashy (though I have to say Pink is like my faaaavorite performer I LOVE her music, though not so much for letting my KIDS hear it).
For as long as there has been music there have been those that have "pushed the edge" with their "new" ideas. It will never stop. Ever.
Miley isn't the first train wreck we've watched either. At this point it's just like "WOW....that's insane" *yawn* "move along....on to the next melt down"
Though I have to say that Will Smith's families reaction to Miley's performance was PRICELESS and pretty much summed up the reaction of MOST people. I'm pretty sure if my husband and I would have had a mirror in front of us when we watched the performance on You Tube this afternoon that is probably EXACTLY what our faces looked like.
I've read a lot of comments about the performance. Honestly, my reaction is...thank GOODNESS she isn't my daughter. However, as I watch my own innocent sweet little girl who will be 6 next month...I wonder, what will 10 or 12 years do to her? I HOPE and PRAY that I'm raising her right and instilling good morals and values in her. Teaching her to LOVE and RESPECT her body and who she is. Not use her body as a money maker. I want my daughter to stay true to who she is and do whatever she wants to in life, but I want her to realize that there are always consequences to everything you do.
My heart breaks for the path Miley is on, I pray that she finds herself soon and can correct the way she is going. I wonder what her parents really feel about their daughters behavior? I know at the VMA's her mom gave her daughter a standing ovation. Was it a genuine heart felt ovation? I know not. It might have just been her way of showing love and support for her daughter, letting her know she is there...regardless of the odd choices she makes in life. You don't stop loving your child just because they do things you don't like. Or at least you shouldn't stop loving your child because of such things. I don't feel there is a reason to ever STOP loving your child. I will always LOVE my children. If my children did something awful, I would still love them. I can't guarantee I would LIKE who they had become though, but my love for them would always be there.
I know we have all heard of the Australian gentleman who was murdered in cold blood by 'bored' teenagers. The excuse has been used that they were "good kids who got in with a bad crowd" that is not an acceptable 'excuse' for the murder of a man in cold blood! There is no acceptable excuse for that. A man is now dead due to the actions of some bored teenagers.
I never want my children to be so bored they feel the urge to harm someone or something. There is always SOMETHING that can be done. A sport they can play, an activity they can be in, volunteer work that they can do, something worth while to HELP humanity rather than destroy it.
I know as parents MOST of us do the best we can and try our best to raise our children to be the best that they can be. To be productive, kind, caring members of society. I don't feel that parents are accountable for EVERY action their child does. You can raise your child perfectly (well as perfect as you can get as I don't feel there is EVERY a thing as perfect parenting)! But you can do your best, and your child is ULTIMATELY the one responsible for making the decisions that they make. Mom and Dad can't be there forever breathing down their neck making sure they do what is right. Even with teaching your children the best morales, they will still mess up.
Should friends be blamed? No, not really. We all have free will, we make our OWN decisions, no one else.
Those teenage boys chose to hang out together (whether the parents tried to prevent it or not, I do not know). That was their decision. They made the decision to take a life. They didn't have to do that. One or all of them could have walked away from it all, but they didn't. THAT is on the teenage boys, not their parents. We didn't grow up in their home, we don't know exactly how the parent(s) tried or did not try to raise the children.
Too many parents look at their children and think they are perfect and do no wrong. That, is a very misguided idea! Everyone makes mistakes, your children are no exception, and neither are mine.
So to Miley, I hope you find yourself soon before you go down the drain. I know you are your own person. No one can make decisions for you, unless you let them. If this is how you want to choose to live your life...that is your right. Just know that there are lots of people who are concerned about you.
Mae
