Sunday, August 11, 2013

Closing Night of VBS

Tonight was the closing ceremony for Vacation Bible School for the Church the kids and I try to attend when we can (I'll admit, it's been way too long since we've been in Church regularly and that is totally a MOM FAIL right there)!  I was raised in Church and wanted my children raised in Church and to have those Church experiences.  Not really sure what happened.  I think the lamest excuse ever...LIFE got in the way of Church.  That is never an acceptable reason not to go to Church. 

I always told myself it's because we don't have a car, or I don't want to feel like a burden getting a ride from someone, I'm tired and I want to sleep in, the kids are sick, I'm sick, I have too much to do around the house it's my only day to clean, or it's my only day to kick back and do nothing.  Eh, I could keep'em coming. 

Truth is, no reason is a "good" reason.  It's just dragging yourself out the door and setting a good example for your children.  I WANT my children to know God and have a relationship with God and talk to God like he's their best friend.  I want them to have those Christian morals and know the word of God.  To do that?  Church certainly is a strong contributing factor! So my goal for this year is to get my kids to Church much more often.


They had a fantastic time at the VBS and it was absolutely adorable to watch Kams and Marshall up front with the other kids their age participating in their Bible verses and singing the songs and doing the movements to the music.  Keegan was too shy to go up front in front of everyone so he stayed in his seat.  Marshall was very energetic and totally having a great time.  He was adorable.  Of COURSE I left my camera at home so I have no pictures of their fun at Vacation Bible School. 

After the kids were done with their bit it was time to unleash the kids and their families outside for games, and hot dogs.  We had a lot of fun and I'm glad we got to do this together.

My mother in law got out of the hospital today, she's back at our house, she's on oxygen for probably the rest of her life.  I guess her COPD and Empazema caught up with her. Plus having a bad case of pneumonia certainly has not helped. So we have spent a huge chunk of our afternoon getting familiarized with all of her oxygen equipment. 

Yesterday the kids and I participated in a "Chalk It Up" thing that was held by the local parks and rec in a small park in the downtown area.  The kids were offered a LOT of side walk chalk and then they were given fun ideas of things to draw on the side walk, we really had fun, even though it was pretty darn hot out there.

Kamilah wanted me to trace her body and color it in and make HER

Keegan drew a blue moon

Keegan first drew a snake, and then decided it was a really big boat.

We were asked to draw the state of Missouri, so I did.  Ta da.  I never said I was an artist, ok?

Flowers I drew with my Kams

The green blob is a venus fly trap, until Marshall made it "new and improved" Love it!

Yeh, sooo that's not a slug...that's supposed to be a whale.  Apparently I can't draw whales.  But I did draw a jelly fish, and Kams drew a monkey with a banana next to the jelly fish.

Marshall drawing a house

I also forgot to share with you a photo from Kams first day of Jump Start (It's a week of half day kindergarten where ONLY the kindergartners go so they can get used to the routine of kindergarten, I figured it wasn't much different than preschool but thought it would be food for Kams to get to know her teacher before school started and already have a few friends and familiar faces to make the first day of kindergarten easier.  So here's Kams getting on the bus. She was so excited for Jump Start.


Last week the kids colored a giant floor puzzle that is also a large poster to color.  For MOST families coloring is probably a quiet calming endeavor that most parents probably love to do with their kids.  Usually I do too, buuuut the calm and peace never lasts long.  The adorability of them getting along only lasts for so long until their tempers are flaring, crayons are flying, and quite possibly blood has been drawn.  Who knew coloring could become a blood sport?  Maybe it's just my kids? In the below photo, I'd like to say that the calm peacefulness you see lasted for multiple minutes.  But alas, this photo was taken after they had already had 3 fights. This was just a momentary calm before the next round. 


I've been spending this weekend getting caught up on laundry, and this next week will be used putting it all away! HA! My house is decorated in neatly laid piles of clean, freshly folded laundry.  Now the task of putting it all away.  However, the photo below explains what happens when you let your CAT "help" you fold laundry.  He isn't very helpful, he lays on all of the clothes and won't move, and if you DO move him he gives you the stink eye, stretches, and sends a cascade of laundry tumbling down that you scramble to catch before it hits the ground and unfolds. 








If the cat is disturbed too often while he is "helping" you fold laundry he will then just have to remove himself from his comfy zone...and go find a new one.  Like...right next to the printer. Where he will cover his eyes and say "no, no.  No more paparazzi please, I need to get my beauty rest"


Do not let cats help you with laundry.  You will not get anything accomplished you will just take a hundred cat pictures and still have a pile of laundry on your desk begging to be folded and put away. (Psst I'm still peeking over a pile of my sons underwear to see my screen)!

Now it's time to drag my sorry kester to bed.  Last night I went to bed at 9pm and got up at 7:30am.  I never go to bed at 9! Last night I was feeling awful, all of my joints from the waist down were in a great deal of pain for some reason.  Have a very busy week coming up doing some last minute things for back to school.

OH and forgot to mention that Keegan's 6 month scans went very well.  His CT scan and MIBG scan were both normal which is what we want to hear.  Very happy for my big guy! Now he doesn't have to go back until February.


Mae