Monday, August 12, 2013

Enough, is Enough Already!

Oh my goodness, I'm totally at my boiling point.  I've had it.  I'm sick and tired of people who are supposed to be on the SAME SIDE fighting for the SAME THING getting divided and sectioned off and pointing fingers and spreading hate about one another.  I don't care WHAT thing it is you love to support and what not, it happens in everything.  It could be animal rescue (yes it happens a LOT there trust me! I've seen it first hand!) and it could be Childhood Cancer (Yep seen it there first hand too)!

Apparently, according to some...you are only supposed to fight for Childhood Cancer if you HAVE a child currently fighting cancer, or have lost a child to cancer.  Otherwise, you aren't "allowed" to help in the fight.  I think that is pretty bogus and stupid.  Anyone at any given time could suddenly be thrust in the world of Childhood Cancer.  Chances are we ALL know a child and are close to said child in our lives.  THAT CHILD could be at ANY MOMENT diagnosed with cancer.  Whether it be a leukemia, brain tumor, bone cancer, or any other of the many childhood cancers.  It can happen in an instant and suddenly you are a part of the childhood cancer "world". 

It is far from pretty.

I'm not just talking about the affects of Childhood Cancer either. That part is monstrous and horrible, but it goes beyond that so so much.

YES there are people out there who scam the cancer world whether it be childhood cancer or adult cancer.  Some people are just BAD.  They fake their cancer or that of an imaginary child so they can get attention or money or whatever.  However, there is more GOOD that happens in the childhood cancer community, then there is bad. 

I know that there are a LOT of angry families that are mourning the loss of a child that was stolen from them.  I don't blame them for being angry, I've never lost a child and I pray to never experience that.  However, the fact remains that Keegan's cancer COULD relapse or a secondary cancer could be found at any time in my sons life.  He could die.  There is always that chance.  Sad to admit, but my husband and I had Keegan's funeral planned out when he was a baby. We did NOT expect him to die, that was NEVER what we expected.  We knew that SHOULD it happen we would NOT be in any state to plan and sort things out.  It made me SICK to even THINK about burying my son, and the thought still makes my stomach churn in the most vile way.  Parents should never bury their babies.  Ever. 

So I get it.  I GET IT.  Having been there as a MOM with a CHILD that has fought cancer since he was born.  I UNDERSTAND.  I understand being angry, sad, scared, frustrated, hurt. I cannot even pretend to understand to know what it is like to LOSE a child to cancer, as I never have, but I can imagine it's all those feelings times infinity.

However, I don't think it is right to attack other people who are trying to help the cause, whether they have a child with cancer or not. Do you know every waking moment of that persons life?  You don't know what brought them to "our side" to fight for our children.  I say, the more the merrier!

If we just rely on those with kids diagnosed with cancer, we honestly won't  get nearly as far as you would think.  Granted, I feel like Childhood Cancer awareness has come along pretty good, but has a LONG LONG way to go.  We need everyone's help.  I don't care what country or state you are from we NEED YOUR VOICE!

200 kids DIE world wide from childhood cancer EVERY.  SINGLE.  DAY.  600 kids world wide are diagnosed with cancer.  It's insane.  This affects our WHOLE WORLD, not just the world immediately surrounding you.  It's not just in your own back yard, your own town, your own state, your own country, it's everywhere. 


Are you aware that Childhood Cancer treatments are not the same in all countries?  They are VERY different and sadly MANY Children die from cancers in other countries that they have a higher rate of survival of here in the U.S.  Are you aware of the fundraisers that go on in other countries to get their children sent to the U.S. for treatments so their child can LIVE?

I can name off the top of my head MANY people who are doing AMAZING things for Childhood Cancer that DO NOT have a child with cancer.  Why are they doing this?  Because they saw the NEED, something touched them.  They saw or heard about a child fighting cancer and realized how easily it COULD BE THEM AND THEIR CHILD or someone they know and love.  They didn't want to sit around on their hands and wait for it to happen, they got involved NOW! Many have started their own organizations dedicated to helping kids with cancer.  Bringing comfort to their children and to the families, and getting others involved and working so hard to bring Childhood Cancer Awareness to a NATIONAL HEADLINE.  Why?  Why should they bother, they don't have a kid with cancer.  Guess they should quit?   NO!!! Keep up the fight! KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Some of these people with NO KIDS with cancer who haven't been "touched" personally by childhood cancer do more for kids with cancer than I PERSONALLY could EVER HOPE TO DO! And I HAVE a child who has fought cancer!!

I know people who are running for Childhood Cancer in honor of memory of a child who has dealt with cancer.  That family itself doesn't have a kid with cancer, but they are doing it FOR THE OTHER FAMILIES! Is that wrong of them? NO! Keep it UP! Keep DOING IT!! You are AMAZING!

I know CHILDREN who do not have cancer and who do not know anyone personally with childhood cancer and yet, there they are out there raising awareness, being AMAZING making a difference in the lives of children with cancer because that child KNOWS that they very well could be diagnosed with cancer as well.  They want to make a difference.  Should they stop?  NO! YOU are amazing as well!

When it comes to Childhood Cancer, I admit...I kind of stay to myself a lot and I'm not overly vocal, I try to be...and I will not lie I think I was definitely A LOT more vocal when Keegan was just diagnosed and during his first year out of treatment.  It's not that his threat of cancer is any less dangerous as it was back then, that threat and fear is ALWAYS there.  I don't say as much as I used to because honestly?  I'm afraid of getting called out as a liar, or a "bad guy".  Or whatever so many people call others.  It's sad when you see Childhood Cancer families attacking other childhood cancer families, or childhood cancer families attacking those who aren't childhood cancer families but ARE trying to help, and vice versa.  It makes me SICK to read Facebook statuses where someone who doesn't have a childhood cancer attack a family who is either grieving the loss of a child or who is attacking a family who has a child in for the fight of their lives.  It's sickening.  You don't know what that family has gone through or what they are feeling.  It's as equally sickening when I read or hear of childhood cancer families attacking a non childhood cancer family and they are working to make a change FOR kids with cancer. 

It goes both ways people. 


Childhood Cancer is NOT a one lane road.  It's like a busy crazy every which way interstate.  In order to make it WORD we need to work TOGETHER.  Not divide.

I try to stay neutral about soooo many topics.  I try to think things through and process as much information as I can.  I don't like jumping to conclusions and pointing fingers, I don't like to play the blame game.  I like to give people the benefit of a doubt.

Raising awareness and being involved in Childhood Cancer isn't JUST for families that have a child with cancer, or who has a child that has earned their wings.  YES those people may be leaders in the world of Childhood cancer awareness, but DO NOT block out those who aren't "in" the world of childhood cancer.  They very easily could be "in" sooner than you think.  This fight isn't just for those who have walked the path or who are walking the path, it's for all of us.  It takes all of us. TOGETHER. Childhood Cancer isn't some kind of cool "in crowd" that we should be shunning people away from just for the simple fact "it doesn't affect you personally". It affects us all.  If Childhood Cancer is the new "in crowd" I certainly do NOT want any part of it.  I don't want to be the "cool kid" in the childhood cancer world.  If it's suddenly a popularity contest, count me out. I'm not trying to raise awareness when/where I can for the popularity or cool factor or because only "I" can because I'm the mom of a child that has fought cancer. My son is SO much more than his cancer.  It doesn't define him, or me, or our family.


Besides, who the heck do you think is FUNDING a lot of these programs for kids with cancer?  Who do you think is sending money to the organizations that have been created by grieving Childhood Cancer families in honor or memory of their precious child?  It's FAMILIES THAT HAVE NO CONNECTION WITH CHILDHOOD CANCER! So by saying you don't think people who don't have a kid with cancer should advocate for Childhood Cancer, you are pretty much saying you don't want their help, you don't want their money, you don't want their time, that this isn't their fight.  It is everyone's fight. You CANNOT fight this fight alone.  I know when Keegan was going through treatments I didn't have time to do a lot of things, because that was taking time away from my son and my other 2 children and THEY were the most important part of my life, I didn't have time to advocate a whole lot and create an organization and what not. My son came first. 

Don't chase away those who want to donate their money, time and effort to help find a cure for Childhood Cancer, or who want to help make a Child with cancers wish come true, or help make their life a little more cozy, or put a little smile on their faces.

Fighting and squabbling among our selves about who has more "right" to fight for kids with cancer is absolutely absurd.  No one has more right than another to fight for kids with cancer. We should all be fighting FOR THE CHILDREN! They are our future.

How many families have done a Lemonade stand for the well known Alex's Lemonade Stand? Chances are 90% of those families and children do NOT have childhood cancer, and chances are they might not KNOW anyone with childhood cancer.  Does that mean they shouldn't participate in this fundraiser?  NO! The more the merrier! You are doing a great thing by helping.  Even the smallest amount of helping, goes a long way!

On Sept. 8th I will be participating in the LINE OF HOPE event.  It's a nationwide event to raise awareness and funding for Childhood Cancer.  Some events are HUGE with vendors and entertainment.  Others are much smaller with just a few friends gathering in the back yard.  Ours here in Missouri isn't the largest, we don't have vendors or a committee or live entertainment. Just as many of as possible gathered at the local park along the high way with our signs and posters.  It's all of us working together that gets the awareness out there. 



I'm sure I'll make someone mad, and I don't apologize.  That's how I feel.  If Childhood cancer can affect ANY child ANY where at ANY time.  Than ANY ONE can help spread awareness and join the fight.

It is far too easy to let the poison of hate ruin your life and cut down others. Do not let hate poison you and cloud your judgment.  Hating may be easier than loving but hating just makes you bitter and lonely. 

That's my two cents...for what it's worth. These kids need all the people fighting for them in their corner as they can get.  Put on your boxing gloves and get to fighting, for the KIDS because they CANNOT do it alone! We won't ever be able to bring back the children that have earned their wings, but we can keep their memory ALIVE and we can help keep other children from dying and other families from feeling the loss and pain so many have felt.  Let them know they aren't alone. 

Remember EVERY DAY in the U.S. alone 46 kids are diagnosed.  That's 46 families that just YESTERDAY were NON childhood cancer families. Who didn't have a clue about childhood cancer.  Now they are aware, very aware.  And they need us.  Remember that every day 7 children will be stolen from this earth, from their families.  A gaping hole will be in their lives for ever.  They need us, they need people to be there for them.  Don't count someone out just because they aren't "in the childhood cancer crowd" it's not a popularity contest, it's not a new country club, it's life or death and we ALL need to fight for the kids, not with each other.

Mae