So this has become a popular topic in the 'blogosphere' world apparently. So hey, why not chime in my 2 cents. Not that it really matter much in the grand scheme of things. However, I'm a white, Christian, American mom, of 3 children, living in the state of Missouri so I think my feelings on the situation matter to an extent. (Maybe in my own little world but hey it matters somewhere at least)!
By now you have all heard about the "Great Racist Clown from the Missouri State Fair in Sedalia, MO" Oh my gosh what have those freaking red necks done now? You ask.
Well, apparently..."some clown guy" wore a Presidential mask of Barack Obama and he DARE to make fun of him. He did. He dared a bull to gouge him. (Had I been the bull I would have gouged him just for being a clown...and I'm not just talking about him wearing the Obama mask...woops I'm sorry did I say that? hehe).
Anyway, said clown is getting backlash from sooo many people ACROSS THE COUNTRY. From people who weren't even attending the Missouri State Fair. (Granted I wasn't there either but I only live a mere few hours away from there so it was practically an incident in my own back yard). Therefore, I am free to talk about it. (Because that totally makes sense in MY little world, k)?
So now this clown who has probably worked his whole life to become the best clown he can be, and has brought joy and entertainment to many a person (though why people enjoy clowns, I'm still working that out I'm not a clown fan, but feel the need to defend this particular one).
They want to bar this clown from working another state fair, at least in Missouri (and I think I read working at fairs period, but I am not sure how accurate that is).
So there's another guy in the state of Missouri who may be facing unemployment. Nothing worse than a sad clown. (Well scary clowns are pretty bad too).
I personally, think the whole situation is sooo silly. How long have rodeo clowns been wearing presidential masks and things? How long have cartoonists been making fun of Presidents? How long have cartoons and such been making fun of Presidents? FOR YEARS!
They are drawn with large noggins, or big noises, or floppy ears. They are portrayed as dumb dumbs, or common sense challenged.
Masks of Presidents are pretty common. In fact I do believe that bank robbers have utilized those same presidential masks (or maybe that's just in the movies)? Either way I always found it rather ironic.
I don't care what "color" a president is. We could have a neon green president and I would care less. It isn't the COLOR of the skin that should be making the decisions it's the character of the PERSON that should be leading the country. We are MORE than the color of our skin. Our actions speak louder than our skin color does (or at least that's how it SHOULD be).
Was it maybe a little disrespectful to dis the leader of our country...sure perhaps it was, however that's the great thing about living in the United States. You have the freedom to express yourself and your thoughts.
Wasn't it President Nixon who had the famous "I am not a crook" quote? The whole Water Gate Scandal? (I'll admit I'm not as buffed up on my Presidential history as I once was). Didn't people also wear masks depicting him for years, in fact I think they still do! I am pretty sure I still see them every Halloween out and about. No one cries foul when they see and hear that. How is that acceptable, but wearing an Obama mask is not? Is it really due to the color of skin, or is it something else? Are people really that afraid of making someone upset because of the color of their skin?
What are the chances of the ACTUAL President getting gouged by a BULL? Seriously. People need to CHILL OUT. It's not like anyone in Missouri is sitting there going "Gee I'mma gunna mail that thur prezdent a BULL furm my own pasture to gets my point 'crossed to'em, that'll teach'em"
Yeh. Not happening.
Believe it or not, we in Missouri are capable of laughing at things, and having civilized conversations. We have brains and a sense of humor. We aren't a bunch of "dumb rednecks" that sit around the rodeo making a guffaw of the president on a regular basis.
We actually DO care about what goes on in the White House, we DO care about what is happening in our own back yards. We do NOT have to like or agree with everything the President does. We have a LOT of brave men and women who have risked their lives serving our country. A lot of good ol' boys and girls who work hard for their families and their country. THEY certainly get my respect and love.
As a Christian mom I teach my children to love everyone. That we are not to judge. That is God's job. I also teach them that the color of someone's skin does not matter. It is their actions and how they act that truly show what kind of a person someone is. I've met good and bad people of multiple races and religions. I would treat my Black, Asian, Hispanic, Muslim or White neighbor all the same. (I would ignore all of you and mind my own dag gum business and let you know that as long as you do the same to me we're all good. Don't involve my family in YOUR business and I certainly won't involve YOUR family in my business). I prefer to stick to myself, I'm not one of those "warm apple pie to welcome you to the neighborhood" types. I WILL wave and say HI to you on my way to the mail box. If neighbor kids ask to play with my kids, that's ok by all means play together. I might even give you a CHRISTMAS card during Christmas. However I haven't an issue with someone saying Happy Kwanza, or Happy Hanukah or Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays to me. I don't care. It's just a greeting of kindness and good will, not something I'll get all bent out of shape about.
People just take things far too seriously in today's society. It's gotten a little ridiculous. When a CLOWN at the Missouri State Fair makes the freaking National Headlines, you know our world is definitely staring to "Freak the Freak Out"
However, I do have to giggle at some of the blogs I've read from people in places like New York, or California who probably have never visited Missouri in their entire lives. (I wonder how many of them actually KNOW where Missouri is, or where Sedalia is located, without having to Google it)?
I remember when I was in high school, our school band got to march in a parade at the State Fair, I remember that was so cool (ok it was actually SCORCHING HOT) but we were all exited (well I know I was, I had never been to the State Fair until that time)! The people in Sedalia were all very kind and welcoming as most people in Missouri are. Most of us Missourians are down to earth, but it can be sometimes easy to rattle our chains and get us going. Especially when we feel passionately about something.
Mae
