Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Easter Bunnies

Today after Church I took the kids out to a local store where they had one of those cheesy Easter Bunny things sat up so your kids could get photos with the bunny.  Normally I'm not too huge into the whole bunny thing, I prefer to Keep Easter mainly about Jesus and why Christians celebrate the holiday.  Not to say we don't still do a simple Easter basket of goodies for the kids, and usually that's about it. 

Though last year we did attend a huge egg hunt, of which it POURED down rain the whole time and it was COMPLETELY miserable.  Those poor kids :(  I felt awful for them. 


Hopefully this year it will be better. 

We didn't really do egg hunts in the past because the first one my daughter attended (I was 9 months pregnant with the boys), my husband walked with her in her age group and other grown adults plowed over her and stole stuff from her and it was TERRIBLE.  We refused to go after that. The boys had never been to one (well they went to a small one at the Moose lodge one year, and one at the Eagles one year), but never the great big one in town.  We've also avoided the city egg hunt too, mostly because it's a FLASHLIGHT egg hunt, and I don't feel like letting my kids wonder around a park at night with a flash light looking for stupid eggs.


Instead we focus on going to Church for Easter.  Impressing upon the kids why WE celebrate Easter.  Jesus rose from the grave after dying to save us from our sins.  In our home, no bunny is going to beat that. 


We still do some of the "basic" Easter stuff that so many families do.  We do love to color eggs, and then use those eggs for our big Easter dinner.  We do as I mentioned simple Easter baskets that we hide in the house and the kids find.  We *might* go to this years egg hunt...it's undecided and if we miss it it's not the end of the world. 


However, I have to say that when I found out the bunny was at the store today, I DID feel a pang of excitement.  Why?  Because it brought back memories from MY childhood.  My husband thinks all things holiday, and birthday are silly and he does NOT like to participate in them because he never did most of these things as a child due to his living situation.  So I can't really blame him, he doesn't have those memories and a lot of the things may bring up hurtful memories to him so I try not to push him too much into the holiday spirit. At least I can get him to drive around and see Christmas lights during Christmas, and go to an egg hunt now and again for Easter, and shoot off fire works for the 4th of July.  Otherwise...he's pretty anti holiday.  Don't even get me started on the BIRTHDAY BATTLES I face every year the kids have a birthday.  *sigh*  It's rough.


My daughter has only seen the bunny a whopping total of 4 times now.  The first 3 times she wasn't even a year old and it was her first Easter.  The bunny seemed to be EVERYWHERE that year.  After that...he was no where to be seen.


My sons had NEVER been to see an Easter bunny before, so I kept everything a surprise until we got right where we needed to be and then the kids all froze. 

The boys said "MOM, what is THAT?" 
My daughter said "It's the Easter bunny boys!  Mom, I'm not sitting on his lap" 


She's only 6 and a half and already "too old" to sit on laps, hahaha.


They all happily took a photo with the bunny.  Cheesy costume, cheesy set up, but it was sweet and nice and the thought that counts.  Took me back to fun times I had as a child!


Now I proudly have photos to put right into their scrap books to have for years down the road when they have children.  Right along next to their photos with Santa. 





First person who says my sons need a hair cut....I will tell you to shove it. They are growing their hair out for Wigs For Kids, for kids with cancer and other hair loss illnesses.  Keegan has fought through cancer, and while he never lost all of his hair during treatment he did have much less than his twin brother due to his treatments.  He was young at the time, so it didn't bother him, and he doesn't remember it, but he knows that there are kids his age and older and younger that DO feel the pain of hair loss and they wanted to help those kids.  Which explains, their long locks.  When they are ready, they will cut it.  It's their hair after all. They keep it clean, and brushed so I'm not worried. However, I still get to hear a lot of 'mouth' from others who think they know how the boys hair SHOULD be. 


Later my daughter was asking why the bunny didn't talk.  I told her the bunny only spoke Rabbit.  She said "Mom,  I saw hair, and I saw eyes, she could have spoke to me through the mask" 


Well then.  My very observant child. 


At least she is a good sport about all the "silliness" and doesn't mind participating.  She still has a good amount of belief and magic in her child hood, but unfortunately she's starting to lean more and more towards the "I'm all grown up" side.


The other day we had a conversation about pig tails.  I was going to put her hair up in little piggy tails to go to the park.  Oooooh no.  That was NOT gonna happen.  She's "too old" for pig tails now MOM.  However, she isn't too old for braids.  So I gave her two fish tail braids and she was good to go.  She still allows me to French braid her hair as well.  I guess I can learn to let her little piggy tails go :(  It's gonna be hard though! She always looked sooooooo adorable with them.




Gone are her days of piggy tails *sniffle*  I shall mourn the loss!! I bet I can still talk her into it this summer.  Give it a couple of hot hot days and she'll want that hair out of her face and off of her neck.


The kids are super excited because they just  found that they get to go see their other Grandmother this weekend (Well more like the end of this week as we want to be home for some Easter festivities this weekend and cannot miss Easter Sunday at our Church). 


They love going to visit my Mother, because that also means they get to see their favorite Aunt (my sister who just had a baby a month ago). 


This will be the first time we've stayed the night at my Mother's since she moved to her new place, so I think the kids will enjoy that.  I hope. 


My Mother in law will be heading on up to Iowa after dropping us off at my Mother's.  She will be going up to go with my sister in law to take my niece to her appointment to get a cast off of her arm after an operation a few weeks ago to help correct a condition she was born with.  If everything looks good after the cast is off, then my niece will be coming down to my house to spend Easter.  Which...unfortunately...I didn't know she was going to BE HERE for Easter so I hadn't gotten her anything for Easter yet.  Fantastic. 


So now I feel like a cruddy aunt.  Also didn't know I would be so close to my other three nephews right before Easter either, sooooo I don't have anything for them yet either! Just my luck.  I'm usually not anywhere near my family for most of the holidays soooo I don't have to worry about picking their stuff up until AFTER the holidays (you know...when stuff is half off....)  and then I just mail it or send it later when a family member makes it down here, or when we head up that way I drop it off at a mutual family members home.  Or we just don't worry about it all together.  It just kind of depends in our family.  Thankfully we aren't a family that puts great stock in getting and giving gifts.  The gift for us is just being able to SEE our family members.


I started this blog on Sunday, and it's now Tuesday and finally getting finished.  Don't judge.  At least I didn't completely forget about it!


Missouri is still having it's INSANE weather.  We had snow yesterday, after it was in the 80's on Saturday, it snowed on Sunday, and was cold on Monday and Today has been rather chilly too.  I miss the warmer weather already!

I have just enough time to finish this up and then off to work on lasagna for supper tonight and my babysitting children shall be here shortly.  They keep me busy!


Mae