This week is the beginning of the "Week of the Young Child" and I don't just mean celebrating that little child inside each of us, though it probably wouldn't hurt to celebrate that inner child either! Bring that inner child out this week and do some silly and crazy things with your little one(s).
Our community got things rolling with a little parade in honor of small children. They've had one every year for quite a long time, and we've only made it to one parade and that was shortly after my daughter was born.
So this year I finally got us to the darn parade. Though at one point I thought we weren't going to make it because I had to pick my daughter up from school this morning because she didn't feel well. After bringing her home and snuggling and giving her lots of extra attention this morning she felt good enough to go to the parade.
I put together a Childhood Cancer Awareness banner for the parade, and we all dawned our Childhood Cancer gear and a couple of our friends and their kids came out to join our little group as we walked in the parade today. It was really a lot of fun! After the little children's parade was over and all of the participants met down town, the Mayor read a proclomation announcing this week as the start of the "Week of the Young Child" week. There were snacks for the families, a bounce house, balloons, free stuff from the Rail Road, the kids got to tour ambulances, Sherif car, State trooper car, and a fire truck. Also cars that looked like the ones from the "Dukes of Hazard" were there for the kids to look at too. They had a great time.
As we were leaving to attend the parade we saw the neighbor girl in her yard playing and we asked her mom if she could come along with us which the mom said sure fine and to have a fun time. So that brought our little group of kids up to 6, and they had a fantastic time.
Next year I think we'll dress the dogs up in the their dino costumes and make them go to the parade too, they ought to loooove that! The kids will anyway....not so much the dogs though they will humor us.
We love taking the oppurtunity to raise awareness about Childhood Cancer whenever/wherever we can. You'd be surprised how many people do not have a clue.
Anyway, below are a few photos from today's fun! The rest of this week I will be busily getting things prepared for the boys' birthday party on Saturday. At this rate? I don't think I'll get it all done and the party will be a flop. Ugh.
Mae



