Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Spider In My Pants

Well, it's been like a week since I last posted figured tonight was a pretty good time to post again.  Now if only I can get through my writers block, or the random case of the odd giggle fit that has been threatening me this evening, why?  I have no idea.  Just because I guess.  Does a giggle fit really NEED a reason?  Maybe it's reason, is to just make a person happy. 

I guess it all started this afternoon before my sons went off to preschool.  With 6 people now living in our home laundry is a CONSTANT thing in our lives and is constantly being washed, dried, folded, put away, wash, lather, rinse repeat...you get the drill I know many of you go through the same chaos known as the never ending always multiplying pile of laundry. 

I had a basket of clean clothes sitting waiting over so patiently to be folded (eh I'll get around to it...soon...ish). Right after I finish cleaning off my computer desk...I think there is still a desk under here anyway.  Right now I'm typing to you over a pile of graded school papers and other miscellaneous paper sent home from school.  One of those no more tangle brushes by 'Michele Mercer' (which by the way are pretty nice brushes, as long as you use detangler spray, then it REALLY works nicely).  OH and I do believe that is my daughters pink belt that is slung across my screen at the moment looking like some kind of snake poised and ready to pounce. Cleaning my desk off is an every other day occurrence.  It just refuses to stay organized *sigh*

So while I was doing some other house hold chores (anything to avoid my desk and that constantly staring and accusing basket of clean laundry waiting to be folded). I was off in my own little world, enjoying my jammie day.  I had already decided it was a "Mae doesn't leave the house or get out of her jammies until like an hour before we have to be at the birthday party and Girl Scout Meeting later this evening, kind of day". 

So as I'm going about my bizzniss (cause I'm cool like that).  My lovely son Marshall starts screaming "MOM! MOM! MOMEEEE!!!!! There is a SPIDER IN YOUR UNDERWEAR!!!!"  At first I was like "Say what?"  He clarified...by yet again yelling "MOMMEEEEE THERE IS A SPIDER IN YOUR UNDERWEAR AND IT'S HUUUUGE!!!! KILL IT!! KIIIIIIIILL IT!!!!" 

First of all.  I had no idea what he was talking about.  I was wearing my underwear (under my cozy comfy jammie pants) and I can assure you there was NO spider in those pants! IF there had been...the whole WORLD would have known and I would probably be in jail right now, because I'm pretty sure I would have bolted out the front door stripping my clothes off as I ran screaming my head off. 

As that wasn't happening, and I was PRETTY sure I'd know if there was a spider in my underwear, I stared at my son blankly like he was a tiny crazed maniac (wait...most kids are, aren't they)? 

He apparently figured out Mommy wasn't going to figure it out (did I mention I hadn't had much coffee yet?  Ok so that's a lie, I had 2 cups of coffee...I was alert enough). 

He pointed to the clean clothes laundry basket.  He was hopping around like a little mad man (or baby gorilla)? 

Sure enough there crawling over a pair of my clean under wear was a spider.  I was like "oh...OOOOH! OH! Kill it kill it!"  My sons gave me that "duh" look.  Between me and my sons we got the sucker knocked on the floor and squished.  Tada. 

Now spiders, stay out of my underwear because I am NOT paying for your therapy bills, ok?

Moving on from having spiders in your underwear...I guess it's better than ants in your pants, maybe? 

This week has been parent teacher conference week.  My daughter, had her first actual parent teacher conference.  Kindergarten...oh boy.

She's a great kid in class and got mostly S's (which means satisfactory and is kind of like getting a B on a report card).  Even most of the areas she was struggling with she got an S in.  However, there were a few Progressing (like a C I would say).  She only had like one maybe two needs improvements. 

It's her darn speech that causes her so much  trouble.  It affects her saying her ABC's, and counting and doing her sight words.  It's frustrating to say the least.  For me, because I can't FIX IT for her and I am afraid (terrified) that it will affect her and hold her back in school). Terrified for her, because I don't want her to struggle, and I want her to LOVE school and I'm afraid the struggle will make her hate school. 

SO they are adding a few more things to her IEP. 

Apparently, according to her teacher she can't use scissors, which she used scissors PERFECTLY fine at home the other day so I have no idea where that is coming from.  I know she USED to struggle with scissors but she got that sorted out in preschool.  So maybe it was just a lapse of memory that she forgot how to use them. 

They are also going to add Math help to her IEP (which is fine with me! I struggled BIG TIME in math and I do NOT want that for her)!  At the moment though it is just help with her counting.  She has NO desire to count at all, she never has same with her ABC's.  She just doesn't care to do it and I've always worked with her on it and tried everything. 

As selfish as it sounds, I'm upset.  I feel like I have failed my daughter SOMEWHERE along the lines.  She went from having a HUGE vocabulary as a young toddler, to struggling a lot with her speech.  I'm upset she NEEDS extra help, but I am also EXTREMELY thankful that the extra help is THERE if she needs it, and she does. 

It's mainly difficult because I've NEVER had an issue with words.  My Mother says that I was born talking and holding a pencil and ready to use words.  My English teachers from high school, and some of my elementary teachers can tell you  that when it came to writing a simple essay, I was a LITTLE prone to writing a novel.  Imagine that.

I never struggled there.  It just clicked.  Came to me, I had it.

So it hurts my heart that my daughter struggles with that stuff.  It's hard for me to understand, because I DIDN'T struggle there.  Thankfully, my husband knows what it is like.  He struggled in those EXACT same areas our daughter is.  Only, he didn't get the assistance our daughter is.  They just pushed him through the system.  He did most of his "learning" and educational keep up, when he got with me in 2001 when we were still in high school. 

His favorite thing to do is to sit down with our daughter every night and have her read all of the books in her reading pouch.  It's special quality time with her Daddy, and he has a great deal of patience and understanding on where she is coming from. 

She is making big progress, and I'm sooo thrilled! She is such an amazing little girl. Recently, her big thing is when she grows up she wants to be a Professional Shopper.  She wants to go buy things for rich people, with their money.  She still wants to have her own animal rescue group, she loves animals and will defend them like crazy.  However, she now wants to be a special affects make up artist.  She loves the show Face Off on the ScyFy channel.  She loves watching as they turn people into scary and creepy things.  She is transfixed by it.  She wants to make people really REALLY scary.  I don't know any other 6 year olds that want a job like that! She has a HUGE imagination and I hope she NEVER loses that!

She also LOVES to write, which is something she does all the time (like I always did)! She will write down the most wonderful stories and tell them back to us.  Love the things she comes up with. 

Other than the few things she is struggling with, school is wonderful for her.  She has lots of friends, she loves her special classes (PE, Art, Music, Library time, etc).  She really really loves library time, she would live in the library if she could! The fact that she handles music class at ALL is a huge deal that I don't think her teachers realize.  Kams is easily over whelmed by too much noise and sometimes music can be very upsetting for her.  The first month of school Kams would tell me every time they had music class that it was really hard for her to concentrate and it bothered her with all the noise.  Together the two of us found ways to help her focus on what she needed to do and get through music class, and now she actually ENJOYS it! 

My sons have their Family night tomorrow evening, looking forward to that! Hopefully their teachers have positive things to say about them.  I am sure they will, because they act like little ANGELS at school instead of the little stink bugs they like to behave like at home. 

 I will have to leave the rest of our escapades for next time! Though I do have to say that my daughter is now a Daisy Girl Scout! I'm so proud of her! I can't wait to help her start earning her patches. 

For now, good evening, and don't forget to check your under wear for spiders, k?

Mae