Sunday, September 22, 2013

Homecoming Spirit Week

Well, what a very busy September this has been! Been a bit since I've been by here.  Just haven't had the time to stop in and even say boo. Stopping in today because the husband is giving me a much needed Mommy break.  I've had a bad migraine today, so some piece and quiet (ok well as quiet as it can be with 3 kids and 3 small yippy dogs running through the house playing)! Our newest fur family member, River, her bark is like a freaking axe between the eyes.  My head feels every bit of her annoying little bark.  She might be hanging out outside more often today, she gets too wound up playing with the kids in the house, and today my head just can't take it today.

The husband brought me lunch in bed, that was very sweet of him.  He could tell I was not feeling well. First of all, once I'm up I never go back to bed.  I get up at 6am every day, and now that I'm babysitting I'm definitely up early so she can go home (she stays over night, she's a super easy kid to watch she sleeps the whole time she's here).  So this morning after she went home with her mom  I got my kids to snuggle up on the couch with me until it was time to get ready for church, but the kids all felt warm and were all complaining of tummy aches and Keegan was burping like he was seconds away from upchucking all over.  So we stayed home and just hung out on the couch today until the husband woke up and I made a bee line for the peace and calm of my bed and told him good luck you are in charge of the kids.

Apparently though the kids don't feel well they still have enough energy to run and scream and shriek at each other, and get the dogs riled up. Sounds that my brain hates right now.

So this past week was homecoming week in our town, which I fondly remembered back to my high school days where I used to live and I thought about all of the fun times I had when it was homecoming time! I've always loved homecoming, I'm a very spirited person so sharing some of that school spirit was always a blast, and I wanted to help make sure my daughter got to have some of  those fun school spirit memories.  Even though she is just in elementary school they still participate in spirit week, so we had a fun time coming up with stuff.  We didn't  get as creative as I had hoped, but next year....we'll see what happens!

The first day of spirit week was HAT DAY! So Kams put on her favorite fedora and went to school, her little brothers even went to preschool with their favorite hats as well, they wanted to show their school spirit to!




The next day was SILLY SOCK DAY! That one was a little bit trickier! The silly socks she wanted to wear well, one was missing and so we had to spend (and when I say "we" I fully mean I) my night digging through laundry baskets of clean laundry to find it.  I did, finally! WOO HOO! She was quite the happy camper when she woke up in the morning to find that Mommy had come through and found that missing sock.  Score one for me! Other wise...*sigh* I would have totally RUINED her silly sock day. HA!





The next day in Spirit week was RED day! So we dug through and found some red apparel.  It had warmed up so the red pants I had picked out she refused to wear, sooo we went with some shorts.  She was excited to FINALLY get to wear her red suspenders though! I even stayed up late that night (when I should have been working on her birthday party plans) and made her a matching red hair bow to wear that day! I learned that using a hot glue gun late at night...not such a good idea.  I still have a couple of blisters from that darn hot glue!



The next day during homecoming week, which also happened to be my daughters 6th birthday was SPORTS APPARELL DAY! I found a MIZZOU T shirt for her to wear and a matching hair bow and she was ready for the day, of course she had to wear her birthday ribbon! That day my husband and I went in and ate breakfast with her at school, she was soooo adorable walking through the hall ways waving to her friends and other teachers telling them "Today is my birthday, I'm 6 now, and this is my Mommy and Daddy and they are coming to eat breakfast with me!"  SO adorable.  When she walked in her class room and the teacher said happy birthday to her she just beamed.  She looked at the teacher and said "You remembered it was my birthday, WOW!" 


The last day of homecoming spirit week was wear your school colors and school apparel. So we surprised her with a new school shirt which tickled her well, pink! She loves pink, incase you haven't noticed.  Of course she had to rock the rain boots because it had been raining the night before and she didn't want to get her feet or other shoes wet. 


 
We walked in the homecoming parade again this year with the other animal shelter volunteers, so that is always a fun time! As we were going through the parade Kams went past some of her friends from her class that were standing watching the parade and they were all yelling her name and were excited she was in the parade, ha! It was adorable.  Kams just smiled big and waved.

She is really enjoying kindergarten and I am so proud of her.  From the sounds of it she is a very polite little girl in class and listens very well.  Not surprised she always did wonderful in preschool as well.  The only thing she doesn't enjoy learning is her sight words, but she is getting much better at that.  She also practices reading everything.  Reading time is her favorite time, several of our neighbors will come over and sit in the living room and she will sit in front of them and she will read them her little books.  She does a very good job. She gets a little frustrated with practicing her letter writing but that's because they kept sending her home with a crayon in her packet to write with.  My daughter doesn't write with crayons.  She has used a pencil for years to write with, she knows crayons are for coloring not so much the writing. Thankfully after talking to her teacher found out it is ok for her to use a pencil instead, since she is used to it.

So now that homecoming week is over things can slow down a little, maybe!

For Kams birthday last Thursday we surprised her with 2 helium balloons when she woke up, and as I mentioned earlier my husband and I ate breakfast with her at school, and bought her a pink school shirt, and later that night we made home made cheese pizzas (her favorite). 

OH and by the way, our towns school won the homecoming game, something like 47-7, way to go team! I miss going to high school foot ball games lots of awesome memories there too.  I was the "nerdy band girl" and I had so much fun. 

Yesterday (Saturday) was her birthday party, and WOW that's a whole different blog post coming up! It was a fun day though!

Mae