Originally I didn't think my daughter was even going to HAVE a 6th birthday party (other than a simple cake with her family and that's it). After carefully budgeting we were able to squeeze in a party. Complete with balloons, streamers, cake, a craft project, 2 games, and even a piñata, and I even made a photo booth for the girls to dress up in play clothes and take some fun pictures. I know that other parents have much BIGGER much more AWESOME birthdays then what I do, but you know what, when my daughter and her little friends are having a blast it's all worth it no matter how much or how little you spend. It's not about the money, it's about the memories!
I tried for 6 years to avoid the "tacky and over done" Princess themed party. I'm not like anti princess stuff, but I really have tried to avoid the Princess birthday parties. *sigh* My daughter finally got her wish this year. She really really really super badly wanted a Sleeping Beauty themed party. Sooooo I gave in, of course. Naturally I had suggested every OTHER theme first, but she was set on having a Sleeping Beauty party, so I just gave in. I knew she wasn't going to change her mind. After all it IS her party! I even took her Sleeping Beauty themed birthday photos I took the week before her birthday and made a little slide show and played some songs from Sleeping Beauty with it. She loved that, that is something I try to do every year for their birthdays.
![]() |
| I love this photo with the fake bird!! |
![]() |
| My very own little Sleeping Beauty (she was soooo trying hard to not laugh while taking this picture and trying not to roll off the log!) |
![]() |
| She was standing on the log and her brother tried to push her off and I got this awesome shot (made even awesomer by some extra editing with the cool affects) |
![]() |
| The day we took my daughters birthday pictures was also my husband's 29th birthday. So of course I had to get a picture of my husband with our daughter. He loves this photo, I think it's so sweet. |
Of course I drove myself nuts trying to get stuff done, I was up until 3am the night/day of the party to get stuff finished, ha. Not cool.
The over all affect was pretty nice though.
![]() |
| The streamers were a pain to hang up and I hand made the little triangle banner on the food table, time consuming, but worth it! |
![]() |
| THIS little lady was happy with her party, so I am happy with how it went too. |
When my daughters little friends showed up for the party the little girls gasped "Ooooh it's soooo PRETTY!" and "Your Mom is the BEST at birthday parties!" and "We are having so much fun!" Just seeing how happy my daughter was during her party made ME the happiest mama. OK OK and can't lie hearing the kids say such nice things made me happy and made all the stress totally worth it. It'd be a lie if I said I didn't like to do my best to have impressive parties. I have ALWAYS loved to plan a fun party! I've been throwing parties (not the wild drinking frat boy type of parties I am talking classier parties, and minus the alcohol), but I've been throwing parties for YEARS. I've gotten good at doing them on a tight budget.
They had a little craft project where I had precut some paper plates into hats that looked like tiaras, and the kids could color and decorate their tiaras. That was a fun opening activity while we waited on other guests to show up.
Then we moved on to a game outside, the poison apple game. They were each given a red balloon, the poison apple. They had to bounce it in the air, and if they dropped it they were "out" of the game. The kids had fun with that game, and once every ones balloons were finally popped we moved on to the piñata. Pinata's are always so much fun! The kids had a great time busting it open.
![]() |
| Do NOT under any circumstances get between this girl and a piñata.... |
After the Pinata we moved back into the house for snacks and drinks. We played another game, pin the kiss on the frog. I had made a frog cut out on green construction paper and had taped it to the fridge then the husband and I drew and cut out little pink lips and numbered them and applied some tape to the back of them. The kids wore a blind fold and then played like you would pin the tail on the donkey.
Then the kids were allowed to get into the dress up items I had sat out and dress up and take photos in front of the castle back drop I had made for the party. I think they enjoyed themselves! I know I did! They were all so cute and funny and hamming it up for the camera. Photo booths are awesome.
Cake and presents came last, well ok presents came before cake because I honestly totally forgot about the cake! Ooops! Who forgets to bring out the cake? I DID! HA HA! We DID have the cake and before all of the guests had to leave.
![]() |
| I promise the birthday cakes I make are usually WAY cooler than this one. This cake and I did NOT get along very well. My daughter loved it so that's what mattered. |
After all of the guests had left we quickly cleaned up and then my kiddos got changed and we got to go to Kams last birthday surprise. We scored tickets to a Veggie Tales Live concert that was in town, and WOW that was a TON of fun! I'm not gonna lie, I LOVE Veggie Tales. I always have a blast singing and dancing along with the songs. You can't go wrong with a Veggie Tales song! My kids had a blast at the concert and loved hanging out with some of their friends at the concert as well.
![]() |
| My daughter with one of her bestest buddies, they were being total hams at the Veggie Tales Concert. |
My husband and I will have been married for 7 years next month too!
I'm more excited for Halloween than anything else, can't wait to dress the kids up for Halloween and go trick or treating this year!!
Mae


















