Saturday, May 25, 2013

School Is Out For The Summer

Thursday was the official "Last day of preschool" for my kiddos.  That evening they set out to their Grandma's house for the weekend, with their Daddy.  They were sooo excited to go to Grandma's house. *sigh* SO this mama sat at home alone.  I was SUPPOSED to be working this weekend, but apparently work had other plans. Which is fine, because that means I can enjoy some "me" time (which is actually quite hard to do because I miss my kids so gosh darn much! I'm never without them.  It feels like someone chopped off my arms and legs a part of me is missing, my children!)
My husband took this at her
preschool graduation a
few days ago.  I had to work so I wasn't
able to be there.
So I've been doing a bit of cleaning, a bit of TV watching, a bit of reading, some chatting on the fun.  Oh and look, a new blog post from me. 

Scheduled a photo session for tomorrow morning too.  It's been hard to schedule photo sessions in due to me not knowing my work schedule (it changes daily which is a bit frustrating, but what can you do you know)?

On the last day of preschool I was just walking out the door for work so I had plenty of time to stop and get gas.  The preschool calls.  *sigh* One of the kids got sick on the bus (like big time sick).  So I had to call work and say "hey I'm gonna be a few minutes late, be there as soon as I can!"  Picked up my little Keegan, and all of his end of the school year stuff.  Fun times. 

 
While I was there my daughters preschool teacher brought me over a little baggy...containing my daughters 2nd loose tooth.  Nice.  (Well technically THAT particular tooth was her FIRST loose tooth it's the one Marshall's large noggin' slammed into and knocked it loose, but it's been refusing to come out and the adult tooth grew in behind it, which called for a trip to the dentist who wasn't worried and assured me the baby tooth WOULD come out soon)  In the mean time, the tooth next to it fell out first.  I can't believe she's only 5 and has lost 2 teeth already. She's excited for the tooth fairy to come again.

 

Apparently my daughter had just gotten to school and had that tooth almost loose and so right before they started eating breakfast she asked her teacher to "help her" and there was her tooth, just baaaarely hanging on there.  One little tug, and bloop it was out.  Kams was like "eh no biggy let's put it in a bag for my Mom" 

Marshall and Keegan keep asking if their teeth can fall out too.  NO! Keep them teeth in there as long as you can! Brush and floss your sweet little toofers and just hang on to them as long as possible. 

Kams is now a kindergartner, doesn't seem possible! She goes on the 29th for her kindergarten screening and she is sooo excited.  I hope she does well! At home she kind of acts like she doesn't know a lot of things that I know very well that she does know.  Her end of the year "grade card" that they get, was nearly all A's, and just a couple of S's (Stands for almost always demonstrates and sometimes demonstrates)  She didn't have any R's (Rarley demonstrates) or O's (never demonstrates).  The boys improved a LOT over last semesters report, they went from a lot of S's and R's and a few O's to a BUNCH of A's and S's and only a couple of R's and O's so that's a big improvement for them.  Their biggest improvements were in dealing with frustration and failure (They've all 3 had issues with that and have gotten so good at controlling themselves when they are upset). 

We are, at the moment, preparing for my Mother in Law to move in with us.  She's had a lot of health issues the past year and has no family where she lives and we've been really worried about her living alone for quite some time.  So this weekend my husband and the kids are up at her house packing and preparing to bring Grandma down here.  I thought I was supposed to work this weekend and I didn't have a sitter for the kids so they had to go with Daddy (which oh my they are having a blast at Grandma's house and getting spoiled!!)  Tonight they told me something about walking down to the little local ice cream hot spot and getting some ice cream cones! They've gone to McDonalds too! That Grandma, she spoils them little stinkers. 

My little sister graduated high school on the 10th of May.  She's now an adult.  She's not quite sure what to do with herself now.  She starts college in August, I'm very proud of her! I'm so glad I was able to be there for her graduation.  She's 10 and a half years younger than me so my "baby sister" is now all grown up! Good luck to her on her future endeavors!

 

 



I know everyone has seen in the news about all that has gone on with the deadly tornadoes.  My heart breaks for those who have lost family in those storms.  I cannot imagine the fear and terror those children felt being trapped in that school as the tornado tore the school apart.  My heart seemed to skip a beat everytime they mentioned the school and what those children went through.  I can imagine how those parents felt, not knowing how their kids were, not being there to protect their children from the storm, or the moms who had their children ripped from their arms.  Devastating.

 

This coming school year my daughter will be at one school, while the twins are at another.  I'm going to be a wreck having my kids divided into seperate schools! I'm definetely NOT one of those moms who is easy going and just says "eh go with it" I try so hard to be that "fun" mom who just lets her kids be kids, and for the most part I don't do badly.  They do a LOT and get to be kids and get dirty and play outside, ride bikes, go swimming, yadda yadda...but I definetley make sure to take the precautions you SHOULD take without tooootally hovering and squashing any enjoyment they might have.  With my daughter I was obviously a little high strung, she is my first born child.  I didn't want strangers around here, didn't want a babysitter or Day Care, I don't trust others with my children.  When the twins were born...I was wound tighter than rubber band ready to snap! After Keegan's cancer diagnosis?  UGH.  Neurotic mess. It's gotten better though.  If I were TRULY a spazzoid mommy my kids wouldn't be in preschool, or be at their Grandma's right now, nor would they have done a lot of the things they've been able to do.  Not to say that on the inside I'm not going nuts though, I just do good at not showing it.

I'm a fiercley protective mama.  That grizzly bear/tigeress mama is NEVER far from the surface ready to destroy anyone who dares to hurt my babies.  Have to reign that in more often than not! Claws and fangs have to be put away for special circumstances...like natural disastors where I would rip apart heaven and hell to get to my children.  I love older moms who tell me to "calm down" seriously?  Do they not remember when they were my age and had young kids?  Chances are, they worried too.  If not?  Awesome, glad YOUR kids made it to adulthood.  My kids on the other hand...are a whole new generation of crazy.  I usually ask them, have you MET my children?  Keegan is a speed demon dare devil child who has give me every gray hair I have (which is far more than I care to admit).  If Kams attitude now is any indication of how she will be as a teenager...I'm screwed.  I have no idea where that child came from, I have been raising a sweet, calm, innocent child, not sure where this bossy, bratty, demanding, picky, girly girl came from.  Then there is Marshall.  Soooo rough! Been tempted to put myself in Mommy Protective Services with all of the "abuse" that boy dishes out with his rough housing.  He is 100% ALL BOY! Rough housing is his #1 thing to do.  My husband is convinced he's going to be a wrestler or foot ball player.  I think he's just going to be a bull dozer when he grows up. So yes, naturally I worry about my children, all of the time. Isn't that what Mommy's do? How can I not love and protect these sweet little faces? 

This is the first time I've had a weekend by myself with no kids (or husband).  It's REALLY weird, and I don't like it. I've come to the conclusion that if I didn't have a family I'd starve to death.  I just cannot cook FOR ME.  Apparently living on an ice cream cone (that I didn't have to SHARE with anyone, though Molly and Karmen tried to steal a lick but quickly found out mom does NOT share with her dogs, but nice try girls!)
Apparently a can of vienna sausages found in the back of the cubboard is not an acceptable lunch either. How about a grilled cheese sandwhich for lunch?  Whole wheat bread, REAL cheese (none of that oil and water colored yellow stuff at this house) we like real cheese.  That's acceptable, right?  Only if it's smothered in SALSA! Good thing I have a family that I cook for on a regular basis or it would not be good for me.  I'm just no good at cooking for me. 

The Relay For Life is on the 31st, Keegan will be walking in the Survivor's Lap again this year and as always we are very proud of him! Then in June the Rail Road Days carnival will be in town and the kids are really excited about that.  We're looking forward to the Art on the Block event held at the community college every year.  Last year the kids won a ribbon for side walk chalk. The pool opens tomorrow, and we will NOT be going to the opening day.  I'm not fond of the local pool, I think instead we'll just buy some little pool for the back yard and call it good, or just go to the lake. We'll also have to hit up some car shows this summer too I have always loved going to those.  Eventually we'll make it out to the race tracks (if they are still open, I heard they might be closing which is sad I've never made it out there yet!) Our little bowling alley/arcade is closing down, they couldn't find a buyer unfortunately.  Finally got to take my kids bowling and my daughter seems to have a real natural talent for it and now she won't get to go again.  I'm hoping it will somehow reopen! I thought maybe since she loves to bowl so much I'd let her take a friend or two bowling for her 6th birthday this year, we'll see what happens.  If we can't do bowling we may have to drive close to an hour away to the roller skating rink and let her do that, she does love to roller skate too!



This weekend would be my 10 year high school reunion.  For the 2nd time in a row I will not be there.  Not really sad about it honestly.  I kinda just did my own thing in school and was happy with that, wasn't much of a "team player" didn't do that whole 'Hang out' thing with the rest of the class.  Kind of a duck of a different color I guess? I keep up with several class mates on Facebook and that's good enough for me. 

A few things from my senior year! 2002-2003
  • Right before starting senior year I went to Washington D.C. that was completely AWESOME! My first time on a plane and I was able to see sooo many amazing things.  I would love to go back to D.C. sometime and take my kids to see all the things I saw.
  • I attended Girls State which was actually pretty cool, if you like being trapped around roughly 721 girls for a week or two. (I actually learned a lot and was glad I got to go). 
  • My grandmother passed away on my 18th birthday, she is missed every single day!
  • I had HUGE issues with the new band teacher that year, we did NOT get along AT ALL and I almost got kicked out of school because of him.
  • I moved out of my house my senior year and in with my boyfriend (which everyone I knew said "oh my gosh can't believe you did that, you are going to end up dropping out of school and getting pregnant!"  Umm, no.  I graduated high school, went to college, and didn't even have my first child till I was almost 23 and we were married and I've been with the same guy since I was 17.  Goes to show, people like to talk and don't always have a clue as to what they are saying.
  • My favorite music at the time? Anything and EVERYTHING.  Just like now. 
  • Favorite hobbies:  Writing, reading, dancing (my secret hobby no one knew I enjoyed doing because I was too embarassed about it LOL),  I loved to draw, and SING, playing piano, flute, photography, volunteer/community work.
  • Was shockingly voted most artistic for the year book (didn't see that one coming). 
  • My personality back then?  Pretty much the same as now.  I'll do my thing, you do your thing.  I don't really give 2 cents what anyone else's opinion is.  Took me a long time to learn to love myself and not care what others thought of me (still struggle with it from time to time).  I had a heavy sarcastic tongue...just like now.  I love being in a group, but picking about the "group" I'm in, but am also PERFECTLY happy being alone in my OWN fantastic little bubble of a world.  Love the spotlight when I can get it, but don't mind being in the background either. I've always had VERY strong opinions and morals and have always stood up for myself and others.  Dealt with a TON of teasing throughout school. It wasn't nice, but it helped me to be able to tell people to "screw off" later in life when they tried to mess with me. I don't take crap.
  • Favorite class Sr. Year:  Honestly?  I didn't have one.  I hated all of my classes senior year, I did NOT have a good senior year, it was very stressful.  Normally drama and band were my favorite classes but not that year.  Let's just say I didn't feel like I got ANY appreciation or anything senior year, couldn't wait to graduate and move away I just never seemed to "belong" or "fit in" where I grew up.  Not a bad thing honestly! When I moved away for college...WOW I felt so much better.  Like a HUGE weight had been removed from my shoulders and I got to be ME! It.  Was.  Awesome.  All that pressure I felt....GONE! Amaaaaazing! (Can you see why I'm in no rush to hurry back for school reunions?  I avoid going home like the plague). 
  • Things I was proud of Sr. Year: Obviously graduating.  Moving out (took a lot of guts for me to do that, looong story), volunteering to go to a contest for choir and was definetley NOT the "favoite" and still kicked butt and did better than the favorites and beat'em.  No one saw that coming. Thank you voice lessons no one knew I took.
  • Fun things I remember about Senior year?  Uuuuuuuuh...........I got nothing.  Graduation took too long, I was bored.  Prom was ok, cept my date (now husband) hates to dance and didn't dance with me at all, so that sucked.  Didn't go on senior trip (no thanks I'll pass!).  Didn't do the whole "party" scene.  Hahaha I guess the funnest part was causing trouble in band and choir after the teacher pissed me off, I finally hit the mark where my "give a damn was busted"
Hmm that all sounds so much more bitter than I intended...

All that, and yet I still loved school.  Weird huh? I really did though, the learning aspect I throughly enjoyed.  If I had 100% applied myself in school I could have EASILY been a straight A student.  I got bored VERY easily (and anything math related KILLED ME).  I was the day dreamer in class busy reading or sketching instead of doing class work because the class work was easy and I knew it already (I was always a chapter or two ahead which sometimes caused trouble!)  Looking back?  I wish I would have tried my 100% best, instead of like 90-95% I made good grades though, so can't complain. I didn't want to be the "smart kid".  I took pride in the fact that I was a good kid though who never got into trouble.  I just liked being uniquely me. 

Ok that's me, senior year, in a nut shell. Boring honestly. 

I was at the store a week or so ago and everytime I go in a girl that works there would just look at me.  I was like...what the heck! I have no idea who this person is! Well, one night we got to talking and found out she was from my school, several grades younger than me.  I find it hilarious and shocking when people that were younger than me in school know who I am (and then I find myself going, oh crap I didn't move far enough away I knew I should have gone to Alaska!)

However, in the honor of high school reunions I'll close this blog with,  a few photos from my senior year! So you can see I DID have some fun in school. 
Captain of the Flag Team my senior year, and a proud
member of band since I was in 5th grade. I loved playing
flute and picolo and I still play them, my kids love it.
Also played piano and sang (not too many knew about
the singing part, I kept that quiet until I went off to
college then I busted out the vocals big time!) Was also
a member of art club, drama, FBLA and Year book
all back in the day.  I loved school and learning!
Senior prom.  Yeh, that's the future hubby.  We've
been together since our Jr. Year in high school. 
He wasn't fond of grand march and being forced
to walk infront of all those people, he still isn't
fond of being in front of a crowd. We've been married
for nearly 7 years now and together for nearly 12 years.
Graduation day! 2003 standing with my Grandpa
My goofy future husband at Sr. Prom
A rare candid shot of me senior year
Just me, being a dork.
I was the photographers helper
during school photography day
and I decided I needed some
pictures too!



Mae
(btw that's just a nickname a good friend gave me in junior high, but it NEVER caught on, not until I moved away and NOW everyone calls me Mae, and my Mother hates it, hahaha She said she named me Mahala so I couldn't have a nickname, well somehow I got "renamed" Mae and it suck and I don't mind. What can I say, I'm such a rebel....)