Friday, March 1, 2013

My Favorite "Famous" Birthday

There are two famous birthdays that are totally my favorite.  One is that of Walt Disney and the other is of Dr. Seuss.  Two amazing men who helped found the world of creativity and imagination.  These are two very inspirational men and who have always been heroes of mine that I've always admired.  (Along with Laura Ingals Wilder and several others!). 

We have like, every Dr. Seuss book and I've read them to my kids since before they were even born.  So when it comes to Dr. Seuss's birthday and "Read Across America"  Oh yes, I  get totally excited and involved! Every year the kids and I do crafts and activities at home.  Thanks to Pinterest I have even MORE fun ideas I can do with the kids now.

Today we had a Dr. Seuss inspired lunch.  I spent all afternoon preparing this tasty dish, if you wish for the kiddos.  Before we sat down to eat I read "Green Eggs and Ham" and while they were eating I read "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish".

I thought it was a nice lunch, the kids sure thought it was hilarious and they had fun pointing out what they were eating and where it was in the books I was reading to them.



We had the obvious, green eggs and ham deviled eggs with the yolk filling dyed green
Fish toast (One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish) with cream cheese dyed red or blue
Who Pudding (The yogurt)
Our ham was just bacon as I found I was out of ham steaks, but bacon works just as well.
We also had "pink ink" for the Yink that drinks pink ink.  I didn't have anymore strawberry milk so I just put a couple drops of red food coloring in their milk and stirred it till it was pink.  The kids thought that was super fun. 

I think tomorrow I'm going to pick up some of those multi colored gold fish crackers and let the kids have those for snacks. 

I am thinking of making a cake that looks like the hat from..."The Cat in the Hat" (as if you didn't see THAT one coming!)

Before I put the kids to bed I read "Oh the Thinks You Can Think" (I wanted to give them something to think about as they fell asleep!) and in the morning I'm going to have them draw me pictures of what they were dreaming last night. 

Then tomorrow afternoon we are going to read the Foot Book and Fox in Socks and do some craft projects around those. 

I have a whole weeks worth of fun stuff planned out full of Dr. Seuss!

Hopefully the weather will be nice enough next week though that my kids will be able to go back to preschool.  However, we have some friends staying with us with their two young kids until they can get back on their feet, and I think they would have some fun doing the activities I have planned.  Give them something to do other than watching cartoons all day or playing by themselves. 

I picked up some new dry erase writing boards for my kids the other day and they absolutely love them.  The kid are doing very well writing their letters and some simple words and their names.  Very proud of them.  Kams is starting to put together some simple sentences and even reading a few words here and there.  Keegan prefers math things though.  He loves numbers and counting! Yay! Marshall is all about his shapes and colors, he's a little artist. 

The boys' favorite thing to do is sit down with the blocks and "sculpt" Mommy.  They always make the most wonderful sculptures of me, I love it.  They are so funny! I feel very honored to be the subject of their art.  I always encourage my kids to be artistic and draw and be creative.  My daughter is like me and leans more towards writing, she is NEVER without a notebook and is always writing words and jotting down "stories" that she loves to read back to me.  I love hearing how imaginative she is! So very proud of my children.  I've always encouraged them to use those imaginations and have fun. 

So here is to Dr. Seuss!! "Oh the thinks you can think!"

Mae