Keegan and I had a VERY rough day a couple days ago. He was not feeling well, and neither was I. He gets very crabby when sick and so Mommy was the one getting all of his frustration. Literally, from the moment he woke up till he went to bed he screamed and yelled at me. NOTHING I did was right or made him happy. It was exhausting. When he's sick he also refuses to use his big boy words and reverts back to signing things to me and even then I didn't always get what he was wanting correct or he'd change his mind. Very difficult day. Keegan's are "bumpy road" child anyway. We have lots of bumpy roads with him but we just keep moving forward even on his bad days. We all have bad days from time to time. He's very moody sometimes and I know that the past few days it was simply because he was sick. He has whatever has been going around, all of us have had it. It's not fun.
So to help my little ones through this bout of the ickies we did some new ideas. We placed a sliced onion in the kids rooms near where they sleep and in the room where we mainly are and in the bathrooms. This is supposed to draw in bacteria and viruses and kill them. I think it did help because our family wasn't nearly as sick as several families I know, and they all had flu shots this year and our family hasn't (well Kams got her flu mist the other day and got a very mild case of whatever is going around). So I will definetley be doing the onion thing again.
I also made homemade pedialyte for my kiddos. It never fails right when my kids get sick I never have any. I have kool aid but that's got way too much sugar in it for a child that is sick. So thanks to Pinterest I found a recipe to make my own Pedialyte.
![]() |
| I made a double batch but next time I'll only make it by single batches and go from there. |
1/2 C Hot Water
3 1/2 C Water 1/2 Tsp Salt
2 1/2 Tbs Sugar
1 Tsp Jello Powder (any flavor) I happened to use Cherry
Mix the salt, sugar and jello powder in the 1/2 C Hot Water
Once these ingredients are dissolved
Stir them into the 3 1/2 C water
** Idea from Pinterest **
http://www.babysavers.com/
Thankfully my little babies are all good to go back to school tomorrow! They are super excited to be going back to school they hate missing out. It's no fun to be home sick, especially when Mommy makes you ly down and rest, a LOT! They needed all the sleep they could get to get over this crud. While they are at school tomorrow I will be deep cleaning and sanitizing their bedrooms and their toys to keep the germs at bay. Washing sheets, blankets, pillows and spraying things down with disinfectant and steam cleaning carpets just to kill as many germy germs as possible. Pretty much the same things I did back when Keegan was going through chemo and we were trying to keep him from getting sicky during that. Atleast now I have a steam shark which makes things TOTALLY easier. Now if only my dishwasher was working I'd be set!
Mae

