Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Halfway Through January!

Well so far we are only 16 days into the New Year, so far so good.  Can't believe we're a couple of days over 2 weeks into 2013.  Honestly, it seems like it should be the end of January already! It hasn't been a bad month, it's been a pretty decent month, just seems like it's dragging on a bit slower but that's how I always feel at the beginning of a new year.

Tonight I made a recipe that I found on Pinterest, home made Nesquik powder.  Jillee over at One Good Thing http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/ posted the recipe on her blog, and I had to give it a try! It's super easy, and totally delicious.  The kids had fun helping me make it though I hadn't told them WHAT we were making until they sat down to eat supper with a glass of their very own home made chocolate milk.  They definetely gave it 2 thumbs up each, even the husband approved. 

Simpliest recipe that only took 3 ingredients.
2/3 C Sugar
1/3 C Cocoa Powder
and a pinch of salt

Just put it all together in a glass jar and shake your ingredients to mix well.  Just make sure to add a bit of HOT water to your glass, just a little.  Enough to stir your 1-2 tsp of powder together so the it all dissovles well and THEN add your nice cold milk.  Stir and enjoy!

These are photos I took tonight as the kids and I made our own powdered Nesquik mix. 

I doubled the recipe when I made it, which was obviously super easy.  I knew that the single recipe posted above would not last my family of 5 that long.

This recipe isn't exactly NEW as I've mentioned it on Facebook several people have commented that this was the exact same way they made both chocolate milk and hot cocoa growing up.  Makes you wonder how a recipe this cheap and simple and "extra" free (none of those extra things that companies like to add in to their stuff), got so forgotten.  Did we really just need THAT much convenience that we couldn't make this simple recipe at home in bulk to use?  I do not forsee us buying powdered chocolate milk again.  The kids would drink chocolate milk constantly, if I allowed it.  They get it a couple times a week with their lunch when they get home from school.  They can't have too much dairy or wheat in their diets due to allergies that cause their eczema to break out worse so I have to be really careful.


They hate the fact they can't have as much dairy and wheat as they'd like because they really love dairy and wheat! They love yogurt, cheese, milk, you name it.  If it's dairy they love it.  They love bread too, but we have to be careful not too much wheat (and I hate white bread).  So cooking for them, is sooo much fun sometimes! The ENT/Allergist didn't say they had to QUIT having it, but to help with their eczema it'd be a good idea to cut back, so we do because I hate it when their skin has a flair up, and winter is especially not nice to their skin to begin with.

Took Valentines Day photos of the kids the other day, so I could for once be ahead of things instead of waiting until the last minute.  Below are a few of my favorites.

Mr. Keegan has TOTALLY become a ham for the camera lately!







My SWEET and little loveable cuddle bug Marshall!







My beautiful Miss Kamilah





Happy Valentines from Molly

Happy Valentines from Karmen

And a crabby Tobi
We're currently in the process of deciding what kind of Valentines Cards we want to make for their classes this year.  Last year Kams made cards that looked like little Owls.  This year....I've not a clue what we're doing.  I've been scouring Pinterest for ideas, I need something quick, but unique, and cheap.  I really liked the idea of little packs of Oreo's in a bag with a heart shaped bendy straw and a tag that said "we go together like Milk and Cookies" I thought that would be cute for Kams to hand out to her class mates.  Then for Keegan I thought something like little bags of pop rocks with a tag that says "You ROCK Valentine"  and for Marshall, I hadn't quite made up my mind, have a couple of different ideas so I'm going to let him choose which one of those he likes.  There is one with bugs that I think he'll like the best.  We're going to turn cereal boxes into Valentine card "suite cases" for their little Valentines Day "party".  They don't actually have a party, it's just a few minutes at the end of class where they hand out their valentines (since they are only in Preschool for 4 hours a day 4 days a week). 

The teachers and bus drivers loved the goody cups they handed out for Christmas, that always makes me happy to know! The kids had fun choosing what little goodies would go in the cups.  I have a super cute idea for end of the school year gifts for the teachers/students.

Still trying to drum up ideas for the boys' 4th birthday! I actually think we are going to go ahead and do the super hero theme.  I've actually wanted to do that theme since the boys were born, Keegan has always been MY little "Super Keegan" and Marshall has always been my little "Captain" (Captain America).  But...Keegan likes Spiderman the best and Marshall likes Bat Man the best, but they also like Iron Man and Captain America.  So we're just going to do a mod podge of super heroes! Going to let the kids decorate their own super hero masks, and as party favors the kids will get super hero capes (I thought about making them but I dunno I might just go to the dollar stores and see if they have any there to buy).  The cakes will be simple round cakes (Might try a new frosting this year! That's always exciting to try something new!) I love Pinterest....

Not sure what kind of a color scheme we'll be going with though! That's still up in the air.  I am also not sure about our place of venue.  Last year we did the party at our house, which was ok, but not sure I want to do that this year.  I might have the party at the park near our house, if the weather is cooperative.  If not, I guess it'll be at our house.

I am excited to do the boys' 4th birthday photos though, Keegan is going to do his with his skateboard, and Marshall is going to do his with his scooter (which happens to have super heroes all over it).  I just hope the boys are in a good mood that day! It's always kind of iffy with them on what mood they will be in.  I thought girls were supposed to be the moody ones?  Obviously my sons never got that memo.

Our sweet Karmen turns 2 years old on Jan. 21st! She already had her birthday pictures taken and she was a very good girl for them, very adorable.





It's been a quiet January for us, we've had some snow the kids have enjoyed playing in said snow.  The flu has not visited our home *knock on wood* and I hope it doesn't.  Husband is back in college and is enjoying this semester a lot, he's taking screen printing and Photo shop 3.  He's going to be designing me a T shirt to wear when I go to the shelter to photograph the dogs, or anywhere else where I'm the  "pupparazzi" for the shelter dogs.  That's my duty, I photograph the dogs.  I photograph everything, I'm like the unofficial photo journalist for our shelter.  Can't wait to see the T shirt my husband designs for me. 

For Valentines Day we aren't doing much, we might go out to dinner.  We never have a sitter for our kids on Valentines Day and rarely for our Anniversary, so time "alone" doesn't usually happen.  Our date nights usually are a family night instead, which I'm reletaively ok with. For our first wedding anniversary Kams was just a month old and she went with us on our "date" because there was no way I was leaving my daughter with anyone (and I was nursing her).  She went to the movies with us too that night, and was as quiet as a mouse sleeping through the whole movie.  I don't even remember what movie we went and saw now.  I DO remember what movie the husband and I went to see on our VERY first Valentines together when we were dating in high school.  Spiderman.  Infact I still have the ticket stub stuck in our memory album.

The husband did ask what I would like for Valentines Day (I'm not huge into celebrating that holiday never have been, I don't hate it, just have been kind of neutral on that holiday)  But I told him if he wanted to do something for me I would love to have my wedding rings resized because I haven't been able to wear them since I got pregnant with the twins, and I really miss wearing them, I feel naked without my wedding and engagment bands. 

He brought home 3 red roses for me the other day out of the blue which was so sweet of him.  He's always been very good about buying me flowers just out of the blue, he knows I love flowers and he always gets flowers that are either dyed a specific color I love, or represent something special to me at that moment in our lives, and it really means a lot to me because it shows just how much he cares and pays attention to what I say and what we talk about.  Good to know he listens, and cares because I'm not always 100% sure he's paying attention!


My children were tucked into bed all snug and warm a little over an hour ago, so the house is quiet and calm.  I'm contemplating going to bed earlier again tonight.  Kams decided to wake up at 6am and come into my bedroom asking if she could play with her Barbie's because she had already been awake playing with her Kindle (her Innotab) and she got bored.  Keegan had snuck into my bed at 4:30 or 5 this morning, and Marshall had snuck into my bed at around 5 or 5:30 it's hard to keep track of who is sneaking in when sometimes! Marshall was still a little awake when Kams came in.  I was right on the verge of falling back to sleep.  Kams says "mom, mom" I thought I could ignore her and she'd lay down on her sleeping bag on the floor next to my bed and go back to sleep, but she didn't.  Instead she pokes Marshall in the ribs and says "Are you awake?"  (When he answers yes she contines on with) "Will you help me wake up Mom"  (Smart boy answered NO and went back to sleep, or tried...GOOD BOY).  Before I know it...Kams decided to do a belly flow on my back.  THAT will wake a mom up in the morning, OOOW.  I said "WHAT Kams...."  That's when she proceeded to ask me if she could play with her Barbie's because she was tired of playing with her 'Kindle'.  She was sleeping in her own room...her Barbie's are IN her room...why she didn't just go ahead and play with them, I have no idea.  I don't know why she felt she needed my permission to play with her own toys, she doesn't ask any other time.  I squinted at the clock and informed her it was 6am and we didn't need to be out of bed for another HOUR and that she needed to go back to bed NOW or else I was going to be one very unhappy Mommy.  *sigh*  She went into the living room, and Marshall popped up out of bed wide awake and ready for the day, so I stumbled along behind them realizing I was not going to get in an extra hour of much beloved sleep.  So I played with the two of them for an hour (while sweet lucky Keegan continued to snooze in my bed...)  Keegan got up when the alarm went off and I heard "thwack thwack SHUT UP twack thwack STOP IT!! THUD"  That would be Keegan killing the alarm clock because it was "hurting his ears" Haha. 

Atleast they all got dressed and on the bus in a good mood. That is always a relief!

However, not long after the kids were off to school the cats, and the dogs, worked together to LITERALLY over throw the hamster.  They threw the hamster habitat onto the floor, making a VERY ticked off and disgruntled hamster.  I dived to his rescue and stuck him in the hamster ball (Have you ever heard a hamster yell?  Oh yes, they do, and this one was cussing out the cats and dogs for throwing him on the ground!)  So I had a lovely little mess of pine chips to clean up all over the floor this morning. So two naughty dogs got kenneled for a bit and a naughty cat got put out side (the other cat had already went out).  I swear, the furry 4 legged children can be worse than the 2 legged ones!  Atleast no one ate the hamster and I was able to fix the cracked area of the hamster cage.


Going to lay clothes out for my kids for tomorrow, and then get myself to bed!

Nighty night.


Mae