Sunday, September 16, 2012

LINE OF HOPE....MISSOURI

So September 9th was the Missouri LINE OF HOPE event.  If you are unaware of what the LINE OF HOPE event was...let me bring you up to speed.  This event is a St. Baldrick's event that is across the whole U.S.  This year 30 states signed up to participate, and Missouri was signed up by me, in honor of my son Keegan, a sweet little girl named Jessica, and a strong little boy named Will.  Those were just 3 names that we displayed on Sept. 9th.
 

 
 
 
This evenet was held in states like New York, Arizona, Iowa, Kansas, Wyoming, and many states in between! We stood in a LINE (of hope) for Children fighting cancer.  Every person in the line held a letter spelling the names of children with cancer. 

I was spazzing out over this event for many weeks, afraid no one would come.  That we would be on our own (just myself, my husband and our kids)  I was going to do this NO MATTER WHAT.  I promised my son 3 years ago when he was diagnosed with cancer that I would make people aware of what he was going through, that kid got cancer too.  Our Relay for Life teams never got far, those did end up always being just me and my husband and the kids.  We just couldn't get the "go power" behind us. 


But wow. 

When it came to Sept. 9th, our friends came out and while it wasn't an ENORMOUS turn out...it was FAR FAR FAR better than I had EVER imagined it would be! I was humbled.  I felt so thankful.  You can tell who loves and cares for Keegan and all of the other kids out there fighting cancer.  Thank you all so very much for turning out for Keegan, Jessica and Will.  Bless you!
 
 
 

We stood at the park entrance (it's a busy area).  We held signs up for people on the road to read, we had a donation canister (we only raised $60 but I'm not complaining! My husband and I haven't put in our donation yet and that will put it well over $100 so that's great!)   All of the donations go to St. Baldrick's to research Childhood Cancer.  A WONDERFUL and AMAZING group!!
 
 

Keegan and his brother and sister wore their CANCER STINKS shirts to school last week, they are so adorable.  Together they are a fantastic cancer butt kicking team! Keegan has his back up team always on his side.  Marshall and Kams are always cheering for their brother no matter what. 

I don't know how many of you got a chance to catch the Stand Up 2 Cancer telethon to raise money for cancer research.  They are a fantastic group who is making a "dream team" of researchers to research Childhood cancer (and they research many other cancers too!) they are teaming up with St. Baldrick's which is amaaaazing! Taylor Swift sang a new song, called Ronan.  About the sweetest little boy who died from Neuroblastoma, at 4 years old.  He is 4 months older than my daughter, and was diagnosed with the same cancer Keegan has fought, and sweet Ronan was diagnosed almost a year after Keegan was.  I followed this amazing boys journey.  When Taylor Swift sang that song....I lost it.  I bawled my eyes out like I haven't cried in years.  It was the most emotional moment I've had in a very long time.  The song, is beautiful, Taylor Swift co write it with Ronan's mom.  A touching and beautiful tribute to such an amazing little boy.  If you'd like to hear the song, here's a link from You Tube:  Taylor Swift - Ronan   How she didn't burst into tears during that song...I have no idea.  But if you watch the video from the SU2C event, you can tell she was close to crying.  No way could I have kept my act together...no way at all.  This was probably the hardest most emotional song she has sung.  I hope Taylor Swift knows how LOVED she is by the Childhood Cancer community right now.  She's always been a huge part of our family.  Why?  Because Keegan, ever since he was first in the hospital, has always loved her music.  I think I have all of her earliest songs memorized still from when Keegan was in the hospital.  I sang them to him all the time and we had her music on repeat on the laptop at the hospital.  He still loves her music to this day, it just makes him smile and be so calm.  (Plus he says she's pretty).  So Taylor Swift, will always be a musical favorite in our home. 

The kids have been enjoying school, and doing very well.  The boys have gotten a bit energetic on the school bus and we've been working with them on that, but it's nothing that can be handled.  They still just have to get used to things and they are doing quite well.

We are gearing up for Kamilah's 5th birthday party, well trying to.  I'm not even the SLIGHTEST bit prepared for it.  I'm a slacker.  *sigh* Poor kid.  I want this to be an awesome party.  She's such a sweet heart she has asked that her friends that come bring a gift for her furry 4 legged friends at the animal shelter (collars, leashes, toys, dog shampoo, etc) and she wants to make doggy treats to deliver to the shelter on Friday so they can help her celebrate her birthday too.  Such a sweet little girl.  She loves those dogs and has been helping with them for several months now.  She has always had a big soft spot for puppies! I remember her 3rd birthday, she was VERY adamant that it be a PUPPY themed party, and indeed it was puppy themed.  She was very happy with that party. I think that was also the year that her and her brothers went as puppies for Halloween.

Her party this year though is CUPCAKES! It's kind of a "Pinkalicious" meets "Fancy Nancy" meets "Camilla the Cupcake Fairy" party....sooo it'll be interesting and unique, very....Posh (Kams new most favortist word, besides AWESOME). 

This weekend I got to attend and photograph a friends wedding.  Kamilah got to be the flower girl (which was so exciting for Kamilah she is STILL talking about it and can't wait to tell her friends at school tomorrow that she was a flower girl).  She did a very good job and had a lot of fun. The wedding was beautiful and the bride was gorgeous everything was very wonderful.  When her husband read his vows to her (and a portion to her son) there wasn't a dry eye in the Church.  Hard to take pictures when you have tears in your eyes!! It was so sweet.  They are a very sweet couple, and I'm proud to say they used to be my next door neighbors where I used to live.  I think we lived next to each other for around a year.  They were always great neighbors. Her little boy is just a bit younger than Kamilah and those two had so much fun at the wedding along with the other little boy that was in the wedding as well.  So cute.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

I've started a new endeavor once a week but not really going into details about that yet, seeing how it pans out. But it's something that I really am passionate about and have experience in, and studied in college.  I can put that education towards good use now, bout darn time!

I've already been working with the local animal shelter, and I really love being there helping! Photographing the dogs and networking them on Facebook, and working with all of the other volunteers and the ACO.  It's been a lot of fun and I've met so many wonderful people! I feel like God lead me to this point for a reason he wants me here, he has opened so many doors for me lately and I feel very blessed.  God continues to open doors for me and I will continue to do my best to go where he leads me.  I know that his plan is the only plan that truly matters and I have no control in the matter, God will eventually get me where he wants me if I trust and believe and rely on him.  Which, yes I'll admit is sometimes easier said than done!

Now, however it is time for bed! Morning comes so much earlier than I wish it did so it's time to get as much sleep as I can before the alarm goes off!

Mae