Friday, June 8, 2012

Fun Summer Times!

I hope everyone has been having an enjoyable summer so far.  Ours has been going exceptionally well.  We've had my little sister with us for just about an entire month, and it's been a blast.  I'm always glad when she gets to come stay with us.  She's a wonderful little sister, a fantastic aunt, and a wonderful young lady.  I know I mentioned in my previous post how very proud of her I am. 

Just a warning.  This post...is photo heavy.

I took more senior pictures of her so that's all done.  She really loves them and is very happy with how they turned out. 

My sister is a Harry Potter fan, HUGE fan.  And she asked if we could do some Harry Potter
themed pictures.  I said SURE! LOL We timed this photo with the train in the background
just right.  LOVE it.










My sister has always loved the guitar, just like me.  So for her birthday, I gave her my old guitar
and she was absolutely THRILLED. 


My little sister and my daughter.
We have baked oreo stuffed vanilla cupcakes with home made cream cheese frosting.  They were delicious, and they didn't last long! We shared them with our friends.  We certianly couldn't eat 24 cupcakes by ourselves!

Oreo Stuffed Vanilla Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
1 white cake mix (prepare as directed)
1 package of your favorite Oreos (we used double stuffed)
2 8oz packs of softened cream cheese
1 stick of softened butter
1tsp vanilla
1 cup of powderd sugar (the recipe called for 2 cups but that was just going to be too much)

We put our cupcake liners in the muffin tin and placed an Oreo in each liner, we then scooped the cake mix ontop of the oreo.  We baked it in the oven as directed for cupcakes on the cake mix.  While they cooled we prepared the frosting.

We put both blocks of cream cheese in a mixing bowl with the stick of butter, and we mixed them together till smooth.  Then we added the teaspon of vanilla (don't forget to scrap  the edges of your bowl).  We then slowly added our powdered sugar (again scrap the bowl).  We mixed with our mixer till the frosting was smooth.  We then placed it in the fridge until the cupcakes were done and were cool enough to frost.  We put the frosting in our frosting gun and then decorated the cupcakes (I'm not all that great at frosting cupcakes) 

The end result, well we thought it was nice looking and yummy too!




My son Keegan also walked in his 3rd Surivors walk.  Still the youngest participating survivor.  It's a very emotional surreal moment when my son walks the survivors lap.  Every year I cry my eyes out as my son walks that lap! It's an amazing sight to see all of those survivors.  This year my little sister got to be there for that too and Keegan clung to his favorite auntie. 
Group photo before the Relay

Keegan with his Aunt Layla




A friend road his motorycle to the Relay for life with a motorcycle
group that brought in the flag.  He put a sign on it for Keegan.  Then Keegan
got to sit on the motorcycle (a Harley) and it made his day!

Kamilah got to sit on it too!

We also went to the carnival this week too! It was a lot of fun.  Freaking expensive, but totally worth it.  The kids have never ridden rides at the carnival before and they are all old enough to really enjoy them, so we figured "eh, why not"  And WOW! What a blast they had!



Marshall

Enjoying the Fun House! They LOVED that!

Keegan enjoying the rides

My sister and Kamilah getting on the Ferris Wheel

Keegan and Kamilah on a ride

Marshall and Keegan riding their favorite ride


Tomorrow we'll be heading out to an "Art on the Block" at the local college, so looking forward to going to that! I know the kids will really enjoy it, then we are going to take in a car show at the carnival downtown. 

Starting on next week the kids and I will be relaxing.  Husband is going out of town for a couple of weeks for work.  The kids and I will just be playing at the park, having water fights, and we might even camp out in the back yard. I have always loved summer and doing all kinds of fun things.  The past couple of years we haven't gotten to do too many fun things but I've always tried to squeeze in a few things!

Next month we are hopfully traveling back home sometime to see my Mother.  The kids will absolutely love that.  They had fun last year when we went. 

We're also hoping to make it to the zoo soon as well.  Lots of fun planes! We're hoping to throw in a bit of fun at the local air port for their air plane show they usually do, the boys love air planes. 

Now it's back to finishing supper and then off to snuggle up on the couch to watch a movie with my kiddos and sister!

Mae