I was NOT among those that made new years resolutions. I never have been one to set those. Personally, I think they are dumb. That's just my opinion though. If you can set them and go for it, then that is fantastic. If not? Eh, don't sweat it.
Our house has grown by two kittens. Yeh. Seriously. You can thank my husband (the cat man) for that one. However, they also happen to be the daughters of our late cat Hagrid who passed away around the same time they were born. One of them looks and acts just like her Dad, cept she is gray and white instead of black and white. The other one is more like her mom but she's still so pretty and sweet! I only have a photo of the one kitty, the other one won't sit still long enough she's all over the place.

Above: This is the new kitten, well one of them. Her name is Bandit. In the background, is her Dad, our cat Hagrid that passed away in the fall. We also have Bandit's sister, Hermione...who is the spitting image of her dad, she's just gray and white like her sister. She's also a lot BIGGER than her sister too!!
Today my children got their new beds. So it has been SUPER exciting around our house. Considering the last time my kids got a BRAND NEW NEVER BEEN SLEPT IN BED OF THEIR OWN....well, that was my daughter, and that was her baby crib, and bassinet. Everyone else??? Has always had a used bed. My sons used their sisters crib, and then one also slept in a pack n play, and then they had used toddler beds, and my daughter had a used toddler bed, and she's always had a used twin size bed, the boys had used twin sized beds until we switched to bunk beds, and then even their first bunk bed was used too. So sad, that sucker was literally duct taped together to keep the railing for the top bunk on. Talk about embarrassing! The mom who duct taped her kids bed together. Laaaame. When my Mother in law lived with us and she shared a room with my daughter, their bunk bed was given to us too. So we figured that it was high time the kids had NEW beds. NEW mattresses, NEW frames. Just...new. Just for them. They are all plenty old enough to take better care of their stuff. My sons have never been the kind of boys with a "cutsey" little boys room. NEVER. Why? Because they destroy EVERYTHING. Not for lack of watching them either. You turn your back on one to grab the other from destroying something and the other is destroying something. I don't think there is a wall in this house they haven't marked on (thank GOD for Magic Erasers!!) It didn't matter where I hid the pens, pencils, crayons, markers, whatever...they would SOMEHOW find one that they could mark on the walls with. Little stinkers even picked the WALL PAPER off of their wall by the bed. Why??? Because they were BORED one night while they were supposed to be going to sleep. They have destroyed numerous adorable shelves because they wanted to play with the shelf, or whatever was on it. So I just gave up trying to make their room cute. Apparently they wanted a boring, crappy room. I'm giving it ONCE LAST DITCH EFFORT now that they are going to be seven in April. Starting, with new bunk beds. They already had adorable bedding sets so I didn't have to replace those. I already had curtains that I loved too. We need a TALLER dresser (the one they currently have is just too long and isn't working for me anymore since we had to rearrange the room to get in the new bunk beds since THEY wouldn't fit where the old ones were GRR). I have a toy shelf I want to put in their room all picked out, and then I want some wall art, and a clock and a new area rug for their room. Eh...plus I want to paint. But painting is dicey as I don't enjoy doing it. And we rent, sooo meh...I'm not too hip on painting in a rental property. HOWEVER....I probably will anyway. Later.

The boys LOVE the fun little shelf on the head board of their beds!
They can store all of their little treasures there!


When you walk into their bedroom all you smell, is the smell of fresh wooden bunk bed! That fresh wood in there smells awesome.

My daughters room has come together pretty nicely too. We just have to get her new desk put in and she will be a happy little clam. She'll be 9 in September, and is slooooowly but surely leaving behind the "little girl stuff" or the "baby stuff" as she calls it. She wants a desk to do her home work at, and her art stuff. She got the prettiest little white sleigh bed tonight, and she loves it. Unfortunately...I think my girl is coming down with the flu so she wasn't feeling up to being too excited. She crawled into bed and was out like a light. Don't like seeing my girlie sick.

Hopefully the excitement of their new beds doesn't wear off too soon. I already warned them I had better not find any stickers, or any pen/pencil/crayon/marker marks on their beds, or any other marks for that matter. Take CARE OF YOUR STUFF.
One of these centuries my husband and I will get a new bedroom set. Maybe, after the kids are out on their own. The husband and I have never had a matching bed set. In fact our full size bed is a busted up piece of junk. No head board, no foot board. Just a metal frame, with ancient box springs and mattress that REALLY needs to go. Our dresser is weird, and doesn't even hold everything we would like for it to. Not even close. Our night stand??? Is the same freaking night stand we won at "after prom" our senior year. It's really super wobbly and the only thing holding it up right now is all of my high school year books that are stored on the shelf below. (Just praying my kids never get ahold of those hahaha). Once upon a time we had a head board that I actually kind of liked. It used to be his moms, but when we moved out of an apartment once he didn't feel like carrying it so he left it behind and we haven't had a head board since. Bummer. For most of our fifteen years together our furniture has been hand me downs. When we first moved to town we had all of his moms old stuff. ANCIENT metal kitchen table and chairs, old yet VERY solid coffee table that I kind of wish we still had. Busted up couch that an arm was fall off of. We had one rickety dresser, a full size bed (with head board, the one my husband left behind). And a super old washer and dryer. That was literally all the furniture we had. Over the next four years we worked our butts off to get new furniture. By the time we got married and had our daughter we had a NICE used kitchen table, a matching computer desk and entertainment stand, and it had a matching smaller entertainment stand for the bedroom, two dressers, same washer and dryer (because if it ain't broke don't fix it!) and some other little book shelves and things. Then we moved. *sigh* Furniture was put into storage, or it broke during the move (wal mart furniture, boo!) all of our hard work...ruined. At least our daughters stuff was in great shape. Until she out grew it and it was put in storage and then covered in mold, and we had to start all over again (cept her crib, it had never been put in storage). So again, everything was second hand. We've had several different couches off and on, all ugly. But they worked. Personally, I miss those hide a bed couches the most!! Heavy as HELL to move, but hey when you have company staying over these are awesome, or if the husband just irritates you for the night either you or him can go sleep on it, ha! Too bad they made those hide a bed couches to be so UGLY. Ick. Not enough sheets in the world to make them look good. Now we have a "new used" couch and love seat, the last ones we had were already 5 years old when we got them, and we had them for another 4 years and by the time we were done with them...they were done for. Our couch was on it's last leg and the love seat had already been kicked to the curb a year before, so when we found a great deal on the "new used" couch and love seat, we took it. Still, most of our furniture is second hand, and most of the time I'm ok with that. Because, well if the kids break something...I know we didn't just waste a fortune. Plus, it's already got character. Of course the added bonus of BEING AFFORDABLE!
However, I decided the kids just needed new beds and mattresses. The others were in rough shape. The kids need a good nights sleep to learn and grow at their best. I don't care if I sleep on my own busted down bed and mattress for a hundred years as long as my kids all have a nice, comfy, cozy, safe bed. If their bedrooms look great, that's all that matters to me. (Ok well obviously I'd like my whole house to look NICE, but I'm always trying to spruce up the kids' bedrooms to make them cozy and whatever).
Right now I'm on the hunt for the perfect bed side lamp, and alarm clock for their room, as well as a cute analog clock to go on the wall. I also want to find some wall art to go on a big wall in their room. We'll get there, we'll get there. Now fingers crossed they don't break anything....
Getting everything moved into their room was a night mare. The new bunk bed and the old bunk bed were not the same width, sooo we couldn't put it on the wall where it was originally. Had to scoot it down to the opposite wall, fun times. Had to rearrange their bedroom to make everything fit and again...that was a night mare. We made it all work though. Barely.
** Getting this blog posted really late!! Everything has worked out great in their rooms, everyone is happy and snuggly!! Yay for new room stuff**
Mom Circus
