Thursday, May 22, 2014

Summer Play Dates and Surviving Ball Practice

Well, we managed to survive the first night of Rag ball practice.  FYI if you are wondering, Rag ball is pretty much T ball.  Why they call it rag ball, I have no idea, because they are certainly not using a "rag ball".  They do use a softer ball though.


I only made myself look like a doofus a few times.  Like when I couldn't figure out where the dumb bases were so the kids could practice running the bases.  They had spray painted the lines and "bases" on to the grass field, only....you couldn't hardly SEE the darn lines! So I wasn't really sure where I was having the children run to and had them back track a couple of times.  I was as confused as the kids.  In the end, I got it sorted out and we knew what we were doing.


The kids and I before we left for their first practice!



One of the worst parts of coaching your kids little league team, you don't get the chance to really take pictures of them participating in the activities, which is kind of a bummer.
We did introductions, handed out team shirts, had the kids play catch (of which one of my sons got the first injury, when his sister threw the ball too high and too hard and it slammed into his mouth giving him a slightly busted lip, go figure). 

The kids did good batting, and practicing catching ground balls, and staying pretty well on focus.  Cept my sons.  Oh no.  My sons made me so embarrassed.  They were NOT listening or making very good choices today.  Every time Mommy's back was turned....ACGH!!!! I was ready to lose my mind. My daughter complained about being hot and sweaty.  She doesn't like the batting helmets because they make her "head sweat" and she doesn't like having "sweaty ears".  I don't know if that's a sensory issues or a normal thing, but either way...I got tired of hearing about it every time she was up to bat! Guess what...she survived...sweaty ears and all.


The other kids did very good at listening and trying very hard.  Only one kid did not show up and I tried my best to contact them.

The sports complex in our community is VERY nice! I was impressed! (Nope I had never been out there before! I knew roughly wear it was but had never been there).  It really is nice. 


The darn park ranger did not ever show up to give us a t ball stand, which is what the parks and rec office told us to do, no one ever showed up.  Thankfully a parent happened to have a spare one in their truck for us to use. 


Next practice is Tuesday, before our first game which is on a Wed. With the busy holiday weekend and school getting out the parents decided it would be fine to just have practice next week.  I felt we should have had another one this week, but the parents wanted to do it Tuesday so I agreed. It's a very laid back game this "rag ball" no one takes it seriously and it's just the kids having a good time and figuring things out, so not really any pressure.


It was SUPER hot out there on those fields.  I was afraid the kids might melt (I know I nearly did by the time it was over)! Since my sons were not cooperative tonight and were more embarrassing than anything else with their behavior, their punishment was to pick up all of the equipment and put it back in the equipment bag and carry everything to the van.  They complained, but they understood WHY Mommy was making them do this. 

Hopefully next practice will go better for them!! I think next year we will do soccer.  My sons at least need a sport where they can be in constant motion!! (I am DEFINETELY NOT COACHING SOCCER!!)


Tomorrow is the last day of school for my sons, and it's also their field day.  I'm hoping I can pop by and see them participating in field day.  My daughters field day is also tomorrow, but her last day of school isn't until Friday. 

Every year on the last day I try to do something special to hand out to the kids (and teachers).  This year we made summer play date cards to go on the things they are handing out.  As well as cards to hand out to the teachers thanking them for helping them "grow" in their education this year.


Photo
Cards made for each of their teachers (for privacy reasons I blocked out the teachers faces and any names). 
For safety reasons I obviously removed some info before posting here.
Again for safety reasons I removed certain info, but you get the point.


Photo
Cute little guys huh?



My daughter chose to hand out fruit snacks, so we stapled her summer play date cards to the fruit snacks and she'll hand those out to her friends. My sons wanted to hand out this little 'Hug' kool aid barrels and so we'll be fastening their summer play date cards to those.  I think it will be cute.


To create the hand out cards I just used some business cards I bought at Wal Mart (they were actually some I had left over from making my last batch of business cards for my photography).  I had just enough sheets left over to make 20 cards for each kid.

I had already taken a good photo of each child this morning before they left for school and edited the picture up. 

I went to the Avery website to choose the template I wanted to use. I then just used the program on the Avery website to create the card.  I just printed on one side.  Popped the business cards out and tada, instant summer play date cards.  Hopefully the kids will still be able to keep in touch with some of their friends this summer.


I am ready to go to bed, practice wore me out, ha!

I know when we got home my kids ate 3 helpings of Grandma's home made tuna casserole, and then scarfed down a home made pumpkin muffin.  They worked up an appetite out there today.  After snuggling and watching a movie they went off to bed and were out like a light.  Nothing like a good hard baseball practice to wear you out!


My husband had to work a 12 hour shift today, so he was bummed he had to miss the kids first practice (I was bummed too I could have really used his assistance). 


Mae